• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Foamed Aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm testing the waters for supplying Foamed Aluminum sheets to DIYers. I have two sizes, 1/2" closed cell, which is stiff like iron but much lower mass and 1" open cell which is even lower mass and has excellent acoustic absorption properties.

The 1/2 closed cell is excellent for constraining layer designs but with the added benefit of RFI\EMI shielding. Great for shelves, turntable bases and cabinet damping.

The 1" open cell is excellent for equipment feet, cabinet damping and acoustic panels.

Both sizes come in 19" by 15.75" sheets at $125.00 for the 1/2" and $100.00 for the 1" sheets.

Attachments

• P1013078.JPG
    P1013078.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 1,067
  • P1013080.JPG
    P1013080.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Who would want this product? Aluminium is brittle, resonates and is useless for acoustic employment.

Aluminum in it's foamed form takes on different properties than the same amount of material in sheet form. The 1/2" closed cell simply doesn't bend unless very high force is plied. And it's surprisingly non-resonant. When I suspend a sheet by two fingers at a corner and give it a knuckle wrap by an RTA the response is flat to 1Khz and dies quickly. No peaks, is very good for broad band control.

This stuff is used in high speed trains and very expensive RVs to control vibration. Not to mention a very expensive turntables too.

It's relatively new and manufactured by only a few companies.

Few audio enthusiasts have seem this material to experience it's properties.

This is a raw product with inherent natural properties, not snake oil.

When this material is stuck with a hard object a slight resonance at 160-250hz is seem.

Ad your favorite viscoelastic layer for an excellent damping panel or green glue the 1" open cell to 50% area of speaker cabinets for both damping and heat conversion of internal pressures.

I was watching an old documentary (on the History channel) last week.
It was all about the Vulcan bomber.

I was really surprised to see that the 1952 prototype has honeycomb cell composite panels in it's construction and that they were shown in their disassembled stage.

I thought these composites were a fairly new invention !
I also think that since the "secrets" were revealed that the composite must have existed for a long while before the documentary was made (possibly in the 1960s)

Any ideas on when composites became commonplace/usable?
aerolam, aluminium composite panel.

The closed cell foamed aluminium looks like a cheaper version of aerolam.

I think, observing from the responses you've got already, there is interest but you simply need a better sales pitch.

I mean you lack both hard statistics about what I can do with the material (i.e numerals- like bending stress limits, acoustic attenuation etc.), as well as no demonstrations of applications at hand.

Sure, a piece of 80gsm isn't used with such detailed information supplied about it, but your product isn't an everyday product that everybody knows what to expect from it - not yet, anyway.

I think, observing from the responses you've got already, there is interest but you simply need a better sales pitch.

I mean you lack both hard statistics about what I can do with the material (i.e numerals- like bending stress limits, acoustic attenuation etc.), as well as no demonstrations of applications at hand.

Sure, a piece of 80gsm isn't used with such detailed information supplied about it, but your product isn't an everyday product that everybody knows what to expect from it - not yet, anyway.

I'll get more info soon.

Thanks for the advice!

Good advice- there are some who would get it "just to play" but for most, they want some more clear guidelines of how they'd best apply it.

Among other questions, I'd want to know what percentage fill (vs. solid aluminum of the same dimensions) these are.

I should be working on becoming "rich and retired" this very moment instead of posting here, but if I already were I'd order this and report on my own measurements. For now I'm looking forward to seeing what others do with it. An offhand thought is a super-light turntable platter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.