• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Foamed Aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Any ideas on when composites became commonplace/usable?

Andrew, see the section ‘History’
Honeycomb structure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen honeycomb panels in McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom and in civilian Boeing 707-1xx (both coming from mid 1950)
European firms Dornier and Fokker had introduced honeycomb panels in their aircrafts ~15 years prior to these.

Some tech data regarding the Aluminum Foam panels
http://www.alusion.com/download/CymatTechnicalManualNov2009.pdf

George

The 1/2" is expanded about 5 times for 19% of the volume is aluminum.

The 1" is about 6% volume is aluminum.

I'm going to post some applications and PDF data over the week.
So the 1", being about a third as dense, actually weights less (for the same area) as the 1/2". Interesting...

Thanks for that info - as I said, I have more questions about this stuff, I just don't know what they are!

I'm still looking forward to those applications and data!
You have PM.

I know what to do with it... :D

_-_-bear
Can you tell? Post pics? Something???

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone here was interested. I have attached a 1/8" thick soft elastic layer to the 1/2" for a turntable shelf. It's on ebay. The problem is that no one has yet to see and touch it and both the elastic layer and foamed alu is very expensive but still cheaper than most other damping or isolation shelves or panels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.