Anyone used a Volt RV3143 or R3853? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
sjalloq is offline sjalloq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sjalloq
Default Anyone used a Volt RV3143 or R3853?

Hi there,

I've always wanted to use a Volt driver for a sub project but can't seem to find any examples. Are they difficult to design with or are they just expensive? What enclosure would best suit them?

I'm also confused about the Xmax specs as their webiste quotes 5.2mm for the 3143 yet also states "Maximum Excursion 30mm (before damage)" further up the page. The 5.2mm figure seemed a little low for a 12" woofer when compared to other drivers.

Any comments?
Old 28th February 2006, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyone used a Volt RV3143 or R3853?

Nice woofers but a little costly for what you get, the linear excursion is 5.2mm which is not very good truth be told, the 30mm is the Xmech when the coil hits the rear plate and this will make the coil fall of the former and jam the B field.

Other woofers are not quoting true linear travel, the are just quoting travel, thats not good either.

You would need a lot of power to distor a Volt, from what i know Volt like vented enclosures but i dont like vented boxes.

How much power do you have to play with? what size of room do you have?
Old 28th February 2006, 06:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Power will be from a plate amp so anything from 250W to 500W.

I have a long narrow room that leads straight onto my staircase so there's a fair amout of volume to excite. I think the main part of the room is 9'x16'.

I really just like the look and quality of the Volts. I'm more intrigued than anything.
Old 28th February 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You have some decent power, is that rating for 8 ohms or 4 ohms, volts are normally 8 ohms.

There is another UK company call ATC, they have very linear bass units, you would need more than 500 watts for them, found in studios.

I like one or two of volts woofers, they made a name supplying companies like REL and making PA woofers.

How high is your ceiling? you room is quite long but not to long i would say, how many windows? do you have a chimey flu? all these things affect sound in a brick house i noticed.

I know about finding out first hand, get one and find out personally how it does for you, you can always sell it on and only lose half your money or maybe less if you sell on ebay, thats the only reason i got a computer, to buy some car parts on ebay for my garage.
Old 1st March 2006, 08:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've just measured my room properly and it's 270"x108"x92" (LxWxH). There are two windows, one the full size of the end of the room (108"x92") and another that is 35"x90".

I think buying a Volt would be quite costly so I'll look about a bit too. What is it particularly that you don't like about ported enclosures? I'm still trying to decide what would be best for me and would appreciate your opinion.

Oh, and I just checked. That 500W is into 4Ohms so I'd assume 250-300W into 8. Is that enough for the Volt?

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2006, 09:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjalloq
I've just measured my room properly and it's 270"x108"x92" (LxWxH). There are two windows, one the full size of the end of the room (108"x92") and another that is 35"x90".

I think buying a Volt would be quite costly so I'll look about a bit too. What is it particularly that you don't like about ported enclosures? I'm still trying to decide what would be best for me and would appreciate your opinion.

Oh, and I just checked. That 500W is into 4Ohms so I'd assume 250-300W into 8. Is that enough for the Volt?

Thanks.
Of the top of my balled head thats 1500 cubic feet, thats is one long room, your ceiling is only 8 foot? i as told UK houses have 14 feet ceilings? is that just yap yap?

500 watts at 4 ohms is very powerful, enough for a Volt.

I do not dislike all ported designs, some companies get the design right others just port to get boom, i hate boom, all the Impala and low riders want me to make them boom boxes, its a major turn off.

Why don't you just call or e-mail all those companies in the UK and tell them you want a subwoofer for your project, you guys are lucky you live on an island with so many quality companies around you that make really nice woofers, i know i would do that but shipping cost to the USA are very expensive on heavy items i was told.
Old 1st March 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Heh, I'm not sure what the standard ceiling height is, but a lot of the older houses do have high ceilings and my house isn't that old. Is 1500 cu ft a big room? What size driver would be recommended?
Old 1st March 2006, 09:13 PM   #8
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

You're in UK ?

You should go with Precision Devices :
http://www.precisiondevices.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=17

A more reasonable thing would be using Peerless XLS 12 or XXLS 12 drivers.
http://www.tymphany.com/products_Peerless.html
Old 1st March 2006, 10:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any reason you recommend Precision Devices? I've never heard of them. And what's with linking to a 24" driver!

One point though, they don't quote Xmax. Is "Displacement limit" the same? This is quoted as 36mm for the 24" model.

Edit: those PD drivers all have really low Qts values which means they're best suited to horn type enclosures right. Out of my league building one of those. I think I'm tending toward a sealed or passive radiator enclosure.
Old 2nd March 2006, 04:18 AM   #10
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

That driver is nice in a sealed or porter or passive radiator enclosure, don't worry about it.

The 21" is rated at Xmax = 12mm, I guess the 24" should be the same. They also sell more reasonable drivers hehe! Don't know the pricing.

Any reason for Precision Devices? Well, about the only company in UK besides Peerless who sells drivers that can be accurately called subwoofers.

Hide this!Advertise here!