Making A Voice Coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a driver and am going to start winding my own VC. I will use 24AWG magnet wire (it is the only size I have and I have a lot of it). I am going to use an aluminum beer can for the former and was going to wrap it is Kapton tape. I was wondering what thickness I should use. Also, what glue should I use to hold the VC in place? Could I use polyurethane? I have Minwax fast drying clear gloss polyurethane and clear gloss Minwax Helmsman spar urethane. Would these work? Thanks

Hmm, put a slit in the former? Can the ends of the slit touch or can it not touch at all? Thanks for that info, I didn't know that.

That Loctite link was interesting. They make good stuff, pretty pricey too though. I know for bonding the VC to the spider and cone I was told I can use any 5 min epoxy (could probably use that for most of the glueing needs. I didn't see anything for the VC to the former though.

The former is split all the way, there's a pic on this page that shows the gap in the former.

I didn't see anything for the VC to the former though.

And this is a pretty important, the glue is the first thing that fails when a voice coil overheats. I can see 2 ways of doing this;

1. wind the coil, then use a very thin consistency epoxy that will penetrate the layers to bind everything together.

2. use a very slow setting epoxy and wind the coil "wet", messy but you would be more assured of full glue penetration.

;)

Attachments

• mvc-251s.jpg
    mvc-251s.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 844
Thanks for all the information, I appretiate it. Now that I saw that pic of the former I remember seeing the ones I have taken apart like that too. For Kapton tape would this work...

4 Inches Wide x 36 Yards Long x 1 mil Thick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From C.S. Hyde Co. Product# 18-1S

I will try winding wet with slow drying epoxy. What kind shout I get, from Home Depot would be great. Any other tips with information would be excellent.

Bloomington is certainly large enough to support a couple of adhesive specialty wholesalers/vendors. Look one up in the yellow pages. A couple of years ago I was looking for a particular epoxy type for potting electronics. It was just a one-off experiment, but I needed something with specific
properties - hence, I could hardly deal with really expensive half gallons of the stuff. I explained to a local vendor what I was doing, and they very graciously gave me a sample/trial pac of exactly what I needed. Sounds like your project is similar.

It's not as if they have to worry about bringing a horde of pocket-protected nerds down on their heads for free samples - fortunately, we are relatively few.

There are epoxies specifically formulated for efficient heat transfer (probably critical in your case). There are myriad viscosities available - too high and it wont fill properly; too low and it'll end up a puddle on your workbench. Cure times vary as well and can be used to control flow properties.

If you're lucky, you might run into someone with a great deal of technical knowledge at ye olde adhesive shoppe and a soft spot
for diy'ers. You'll get a sample of just exactly what you need.

Oh hell, this may all just be overwrought, maybe you'll just want to
use mucilage (but then again, you are a man who's winding his own voice coils - and many of us can certainly relate to that)

I think polyurethane would work. The only question I have is will it stand the heat? On my tesla coil I brushed it on and it soaked into the layers, I used Helsman after because it is thicker and coated it until you couldn't even feel the wire anymore, it was smooth. It worked great and held everything in place very strong. I tried searching the the temp max but couldn't find anything.

DKAudio said:
I think polyurethane would work. The only question I have is will it stand the heat? On my tesla coil I brushed it on and it soaked into the layers, I used Helsman after because it is thicker and coated it until you couldn't even feel the wire anymore, it was smooth. It worked great and held everything in place very strong. I tried searching the the temp max but couldn't find anything.

Maybe you could call Minneapolis speaker company and ask?
Or you can experiment and do trial and error.

DKAudio, do you already have the pole pieces/magnet? If you are going to machine the pole pieces it's ok, otherwise you'd have to match the former to the gap available.

I wouldn't suggest the beercan to stay with the coil for ever. Better use a thin sheet of teflon over the can and wind the coil over this, so that the coil can be slipped out after the glue sets. Choice of glue and how neat you can apply it are critical to final result.

Do post your experiences.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.