Plate amp or iNuke for 2 DIY subs???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 well built Altec cabs that are 4.5 cu ft each I want to make subs with. While looking for drivers and amps, I found I can get 1 two channel iNuke with DSP for less than 2 BASH plate amps. I don't see a down side to the iNuke, do you?

Also, the baffle is cut for a 15" driver but a 12" would work too. Ideas for good drivers?

With these 2 more subs I'll have 4 in total

iNukes are decent for LF and midrange use, but I find them a tad rough compared to HiFi amps in the HF. Lots of power for little money, and the DSP is excellent.

I see a lot of recommendations for the Dayton Ultimax drivers. Haven't tried them myself, though. A more budget option would be the JBL GTO1214, if you can still get them. They're not bad, but I think their distortion performance could easily be beaten by something nicer.

Chris

Bash isnt nothing like what it used to be. A couple of the less expensive alternative class D pro amps I heard with premium speakers are excellent on sub duty, and werent too shabby performing HF.

Hypex are doing great things while operating in full range. with thier class D but their plates/ DSP aren't exactly inexpensive. One of the best sounding preamp amp combos I heard has hypex D modules in it. I would happily trade in my A/B for a set of NAD M22.

The inuke claims to makes stupid power, I wonder if anyone has put one on a bench to confirm the numbers.

Last edited:
I have 2 well built Altec cabs that are 4.5 cu ft each I want to make subs with. While looking for drivers and amps, I found I can get 1 two channel iNuke with DSP for less than 2 BASH plate amps. I don't see a down side to the iNuke, do you?

Also, the baffle is cut for a 15" driver but a 12" would work too. Ideas for good drivers?

With these 2 more subs I'll have 4 in total

Which iNuke are you looking at getting? There are several models.

I'm looking for the same decision to power 2x21" per channel, between inuke nu3000dsp or nu6000dsp vs Apex H900tef + minidsp 2x4

inuke give a plug & play solution but when you look at those smd parts, and some post mentioned that you cant get parts replacement, it will be a nightmare in the future.

while H900tef look like diy PA amplifier that already give satisfaction to PA business guy.

searching continued....

I've decided to go with the iNuke 1000.

I just moved to Albuquerque from Detroit area. I don't have a big space any longer so I will have 4 subs and thesee on stands.

Attachments

• 20160620_111623.jpg
    20160620_111623.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 20160620_111557.jpg
    20160620_111557.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 156
What are the specifics on "these" djn? They remind me of Braun cabinets on steroids.

The ultimax15 with inuke1000DSP combo seems to be too good to be true, steak for the price of salad. You did mention the altec cabinets will fit 15's why go with 12's? If you configure them in series for 500x2 that seems like it will be adequate.

Going to the other post, apex + miniDSP I hope I never overlooked something by saying double check to be sure there is enough voltage output for that amplifier.

Really nice, were those made with black walnut? It might be best not letting any Altec purist's see subs in them lol :p

A pair of 77' or 78' walnut Studio Lab 3-way cabinets got tossed away on me. They were HEAVY, rock solid. Wish I had those back.

Nice job on the high ranges, do share sub results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.