Plate amp or iNuke for 2 DIY subs???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both of these cabs are on 1" tall riser boxes found in cabs from back in the day. I want to go to spikes but started wondering if there is a freq-to-height ratio to use when buying spikes. should they just be the normal 1" spikes or should I be looking at 2, 3, 4"?

Since there bass height shouldn't matter. Spikes offer different things, they minimise or stop cabs from resonating into the floor, also firmly anchor for greater attack. Spikes also couple them to the floor but that can sound like **** if the floor isnt rock solid. Sub dudes and spikes are good to have in your arsenal I would give both a try.

I have the iNuke3000 with each channel driving the dual voice coil of a single Dayton Ultimax 15" in a sealed 3/4" MDF enclosure I built. The iNuke really gets the Dayton moving, but only when both channels are running. I would not recommend using old Altec cabs with these brutal subs, they will vibrate like crazy coloring the sound.
Class D is good for very low freq, like 20-40hz, but I have found a good 500watt class AB plate amp to be much higher fidelity in the upper bass (like 60-100hz area)
Also, the Ultimax series are not that great at upper bass, I would actually look at Daytons more moderate classic series options with an older pro audio class AB amp to put in those altec cabs. Minidsp is a good xover solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.