A step beyond the monkey coffin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, here's a question for the truly sick among us. I've got an opportunity to get some, um... coffins... at a really low price. The real thing, Slovenian oak, superbly made and finished. And the lining is pretty sound absorbing. Has anyone actually tried using something like this as a macabre subwoofer cabinet?

I should mention that these are unused! :devily:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
SY said:
Has anyone actually tried using something like this as a macabre subwoofer cabinet?
Yess, it tis wery phat when M & M be kicking

Attachments

• belacoffin1.jpg
    belacoffin1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,714
two things i do not want to know:

1. how you happened upon this 'opportunity', and

2. how you found out that the interior lining is 'pretty sound absorbing'.

and the corollary, 2a. (ok so that's 2.5 things): i am not wondering why 'they' saw fit to make the interior lining sound absorptive.

:eek:

Da5id4Vz said:
How low will it go? About 6 feet under.

Deadly low frequency response.

A killer idea.

Good for one type of music only: Soul.

Did some one hear a monkey Cough-in? No that was just SY's new subwoofer, he needs to enlarge the ports to keep it from chuffing.

crumbs.... or in "ob" language crobumbs which then needed some explaination....

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sy,

Sorry for making fun of your idea. That's not really very nice of us.

So what type of box design are you thinking of? The coffin might be a little large for a Ported Box or PR design, depending on the driver you select. Maybe a Terminated Transistion Line, or possibly a Sealed/Closed Casket, eh... I mean Box, and I would suggest to stay away from the Linkwitz site unless you're thinking Open... Baffle!?;)

Rodd, make all the fun you want; I'll have the last laugh. Ahem.

faustian bargin said:
two things i do not want to know:

1. how you happened upon this 'opportunity', and

2. how you found out that the interior lining is 'pretty sound absorbing'.

and the corollary, 2a. (ok so that's 2.5 things): i am not wondering why 'they' saw fit to make the interior lining sound absorptive.

:eek:

I'll tell you anyway.

1. Professionally, I've dabbled in all sorts of businesses. So oddball things come my way. In this case, it was a guy who thought he could make a killing (ugh!) underselling current coffins by going to an Eastern European source. Unfortunately, he underestimated the barriers to entry in the US created by consolidation in the funeral industry. If you're not THE supplier contracted by the 500 Pound Gorilla in the business, you could be selling them for ten bucks and still will have no takers. So, I was asked, "What else can I do with these things?"

2. Exaption. Padded linings are de rigeur (mortis) for fancy coffins. Presumably for the sake of the corpse's comfort? The sound deadening is just a consequence, not a goal.

My strong feeling is that these will be GREAT for playback of the Grateful Dead.

My serious question is, if I buy up some of these, does anyone think it could actually sell? Any Goths among you?

Konnichiwa,

SY said:
OK, here's a question for the truly sick among us. I've got an opportunity to get some, um... coffins... at a really low price. The real thing, Slovenian oak, superbly made and finished. And the lining is pretty sound absorbing. Has anyone actually tried using something like this as a macabre subwoofer cabinet?

I'd think decor wise these are suited strictly to the Bedrooms of offspring that are in the "Goth" phase, making them unsuited for subwoofers, but a nice 15" Coax Driver should fit easily and will allow "Sisiters of Mercy", "Marilyn Manson" and much other Goth Music to me played with amazing clarity and level, much to the benefit and musical education of other family members.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.