Faital Pro 1030 hp 18" BR - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Faital Pro 1030 hp 18" BR

Hey guys, just posting a picture of my "budget" 18" BR I built for a buddy. putting the finishing touches on it... really stretching my overly slim budget to the limits (no corner hardware etc). 3/4 aracuo and 1/2 birch for the port.

Its tuned to 37hz with flared ports (Port speed stays below 15 m/s at xmax). excited to hear it!
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very nice work!!
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
Its tuned to 37hz with flared ports (Port speed stays below 15 m/s at xmax). excited to hear it!
Looks good, have you actually measured the tuning to be at 37 Hz?
Old 4th September 2014, 02:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nope not yet art. Havnt even free aired the driver yet! I love in an apartmet so testing can be difficult. Hopefully tmrw i'll at least give a couple sweeps to eyeball excursion minima, and hopeful get a quick and dirt close mic teat outdoors
Old 4th September 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

nice
i ,m intrested in how that driver preforms.
Old 4th September 2014, 02:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Honestly, it appears the 15 is a "nicer". Driver (same motor, smaller, lghter cone) for th use at least. I expect that this 18 will perform decently well for the application intended (only 1200w available, 100 person room)
Old 6th September 2014, 01:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Facebook Like Button.jpeg (190.3 KB, 133 views)
Old 6th September 2014, 02:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm curious how the flared on both sides short port works for tuning frequency. The Danley 12" box has something very similar, with less of a "straight" port in between. Looks like you did a huge favor for a buddy, doesn't seem like you got much $ for building it by the way you describe it

Looks good thou!!
Old 6th September 2014, 02:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I got less than $10 an hour.....

To be fair, a little backstory.

he asked me about building a sub about a year ago initially (he is the manager of a small bar that unintentionally became a busy hipster dance club). We discussed pricing, I went out of town on holiday, and when I returned, I found a used jbl prx518s at the club. they had picked it up for $300 from a resturant that had recently closed (same resturant was selling 4 dbx pa + for $50 a piece and I MISSED THEM!)

I tell them they made a poor decision.... walk away, 2 months later, I get a call. they blew it up. I come in, diagnose the speaker as blown coil. point them in the right direction of the proper recone kit, and recone it for $40 labor. 2 months later, the amp dies... after a couple months of no sub, they finally come to me with a $800 budget (including Amp, which we got used, AND a DBX PX because their current "processing" is a rack full of 20 year old garbage that has no sub hipass capabilities, or balanced patch cables in sight).

So... here we are.

I modelled the port in hornresp. If I had kept the port a constant width, then I would have had to make it far longer. "bottlenecking" it, allows the length to come down a tad, but still offers you a significant port velocity reduction at the mouth and throat of the port. I wanted to stay a good distance away from the back wall as to not affect tuning.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!!!
Old 6th September 2014, 03:37 PM   #10
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Properly setup a limiter so they donīt blow this one too.

You canīt trust DJ ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!