Best size box for Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...Terminus on driver side....my first thought really... I would use this outside mostly, so port on driver side would be best...

Outside?..Hm..Maybe a ML-TL would be a better choice if to avoid a BR with a tall ringing port?

FWIW:Here's a real bad CAR? BR example to be avoided that show severe ringing if not the entire box and the port partly(effectively ~47")are stuffed.

I didn't posted this to a thread a few weeks ago as there was to many wacky comments on why a very similar box didn't perform well..

b:)

Attachments

• TC-Sounds-LMS-R-un-stuffed_TL.JPG
    TC-Sounds-LMS-R-un-stuffed_TL.JPG
    635.1 KB · Views: 505
  • TC-Sounds-LMS-R-un-stuffed_TL_cont.JPG
    TC-Sounds-LMS-R-un-stuffed_TL_cont.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 463
  • TC-Sounds-LMS-R-Normal-BR-stuffed_TL.JPG
    TC-Sounds-LMS-R-Normal-BR-stuffed_TL.JPG
    665.7 KB · Views: 440
Outside?..Hm..Maybe a ML-TL would be a better choice if to avoid a BR with a tall ringing port?

FWIW:Here's a real bad CAR? BR example to be avoided that show severe ringing if not the entire box and the port partly(effectively ~47")are stuffed.

I didn't posted this to a thread a few weeks ago as there was to many wacky comments on why a very similar box didn't perform well..

Isn't that ringing occuring way above the passband that car audio subwoofers are normally used in? They're typically cut off @80 Hz, if not lower.

Isn't that ringing occuring way above the passband that car audio subwoofers are normally used in? They're typically cut off @80 Hz, if not lower.

You're right In a car the ringing is near blameless levels and would in most noisy cabins be masked but if in a quiet room with a picky listener, (Me of course :eek:):

The ringing would be recognized as when XO:d at ~80 Hz(I prefer lower) this ringing is ~20 mS to long (~43 mS = ~15m) is where I set my 'Distance cue arrays to JND and I do not like attention(amplitudes at higher levels but less than ~105 dB) from a sub that pops out and tilts my central phantom spread more than necessarily.

Remember that the ringing(coloring) would be outside of BER 1,thus extremely easy to be heard when long in lime.

PS: Submitting a picture using IMO absolute minimal damping ( A ~100g batten behind the driver magnet on the internal rear wall side:

Attachments

• TC-Sounds-LMS-R_BR_100g-stuffing.JPG
    TC-Sounds-LMS-R_BR_100g-stuffing.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.