Best size box for Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is that a down-firing port?

Hi,

...Depends on how you place the TL but in reality If I had designed the TL sub. I would place the terminus at the side of the driver front.

b:)

Attachments

• TH_TLified-tweaked.JPG
    TH_TLified-tweaked.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 598
phase response... I don't have anyway to simulate the stuffing of the line's effect on phase, but I know Bjorno always recommends some stuffing of the T-TQWTs

Hi Josephjcole,

Good work!
If you single fold the T-TQWT you should stuff..'your/this design'.. evenly(constant density) using a weight of ~ 0.8 lb damping material, but if you intend to add more folds:
Use lesser stuffing= ~0.6 lb and taper the density 'linear' towards the terminating end where the density is ~ half of what you started with.

Have a look at the profound effect when adding stuffing material:
Submitting a MJK simulation which you can study, i.e. an actual T-TQWT will inherit ~ the FR and Phase above ~80 Hz.

XO at ~90 Hz(LR2-LR4) if targeting a 80 Hz XO or use the Mains somewhat overlapping the sub (Sub XO set at ~80 Hz), I prefer the latter method.

Attachments

• Dayton HF10_Dayton_RSS265HF_OD-TL_T-TQWT.JPG
    Dayton HF10_Dayton_RSS265HF_OD-TL_T-TQWT.JPG
    664.3 KB · Views: 581
Hi Josephjcole,

Good work!
If you single fold the T-TQWT you should stuff..'your/this design'.. evenly(constant density) using a weight of ~ 0.8 lb damping material, but if you intend to add more folds:
Use lesser stuffing= ~0.6 lb and taper the density 'linear' towards the terminating end where the density is ~ half of what you started with.

Have a look at the profound effect when adding stuffing material:
Submitting a MJK simulation which you can study, i.e. an actual T-TQWT will inherit ~ the FR and Phase above ~80 Hz.

XO at ~90 Hz(LR2-LR4) if targeting a 80 Hz XO or use the Mains somewhat overlapping the sub (Sub XO set at ~80 Hz), I prefer the latter method.

Thanks so much! Great information...I really appreciate it. I originally bought these with the intention of making small sealed subs to help even out room modes, but after seeing what they can do in a T-TQWT I'm pretty tempted. I would put them in my attic with the mouth firing down, one right above each speaker (4' from the top of my speakers, which are 4' tall). My only hesitation on building these is that I would like to have the stereo subs be able to be crossed slightly higher in frequency for more overlap to help deal with room modes (my mains reach down to 40Hz). I've seen you design T-TQWT's that could do 20-100Hz. Is that possible with this driver? or am I better off looking for a different driver if I want a slightly wider bandwidth?

bjorno, Josephjcole,

Two woofers would be better.

This one is next to a cinder block wall, the extension is very nice (amplifier barely gets warm even after playing all day).

posts #255 - 258

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/203345-isobaric-less-then-20-a-26.html

I followed your thread pretty closely! I have no doubt more is always better;), your T-TQWT's with four drivers each looked great. However two is probably all I can swing right now and I'm thinking that it might be better to have them in separate enclosure to help more with room modes.

Well yes only 2 drivers in a front-front build (or stack). Might be able to flip one of the woofers as suggested by Oliver.

Building a mirror image was easy, once there's a recipe.

Some say two subs in a room is tricky, I found that it didn't work here and ended placing them (2 sub boxes) only 5' apart.

..I would put them in my attic with the mouth firing down, one right above each speaker (4' from the top of my speakers, which are 4' tall)... I've seen you design T-TQWT's that could do 20-100Hz. Is that possible with this driver?...

Hi,
With~8 foot ceiling height and the subs above your mains, you're looking for trouble :eek: unless you XO the subs at or lower than ~30-40 Hz,i.e. IME infra-subs would work well below ~30-40 Hz.

Good integration may be achieved if your woofers in your main speaker and the 'stereo-subs are placed at the wall DBA(Double Bass Array) points and 'time-aligned' at the acoustic XO.

20.100? No problems :D :

Attachments

• Dayton_RSS265HF_OD_T-TQWT_2.2mH-0.85Ohm.JPG
    Dayton_RSS265HF_OD_T-TQWT_2.2mH-0.85Ohm.JPG
    832 KB · Views: 543
E.G. Using a box program....

13" Wide (11.5" ID)
23" Deep
52" Tall

Equals 7.23cf. (a little extra for bracing, etc).

What would be the center line?

Have no idea..box program? for what? No Rookie guff box program can handle a TL or a T-TQWT and is totally useless whenever there is quarter-waves involved and tapered enclosures where the drivers/terminating ports are placed in offset.

I designed an TL using dual 8 Ohm drivers that would use an internal height of ~52":

b :)

Attachments

• 2xDayton_RSS265HF-8_OD_TL.JPG
    2xDayton_RSS265HF-8_OD_TL.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Apologizes bjorno, I only guessed at 52" as a starting point; it was only a rough idea if a box could be built with a 10.5" woofer (or 2).

I remember B1fantastic (sp) used woofer that were narrow on two sides, that would help with a box being to wide.

I calculated with an internal width of 10.5" for the dual OD_T-TQWT in post#33 and also for #35.

Submitting: IMO:A better OD-TL than in post #35:

Attachments

• Dayton_RSS265HF-8_104L_OD_TL.JPG
    Dayton_RSS265HF-8_104L_OD_TL.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: 1 user
Very close to understanding this..........but not there yet.

Is this a good example?

Yves TL Subwoofer

bjorno, thank you for highlighting a few specs.

Yes, Thats a good example. You can also move the terminus(port) to the driver side but this implies an extra fold as the driver would move down a bit and the new port location would be close to the driver front-side.

A TL is very forgiving when it comes to dimensioning: If the line length or CSA:s are off an inch or two,it wont matter as the exactly amount of stuffing material can be used to tune the TL for the target 'fb'.

PS: My Internet Service Provider has a 50% duty-cycle since yesterday:eek:I might be slow on answering questions.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.