Concept, Beolab 11 style isobaric sub using Ikea Blanda metal bowls.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes they would run push pull. If im right in thinking this allows the cabinet size to be half of the recommended size.

My hi fi racks and orb like speakers all sit on granite (kitchen counter savers sm £4 lrg £9) these help to isolate vibrations and give a sturdy base thats cheaper than the oak, really flat and really stable.

For £20 on metal spun bowls, £9 granite, £4 spikes and £6 oak with a small sheet of mdf, £45 +/- I think I could be a great sounding and looking enclosure.

Looking at the peerless xls 10". Any have any idea how to model this?

Yes they would run push pull. If im right in thinking this allows the cabinet size to be half of the recommended size.

My hi fi racks and orb like speakers all sit on granite (kitchen counter savers sm £4 lrg £9) these help to isolate vibrations and give a sturdy base thats cheaper than the oak, really flat and really stable.

For £20 on metal spun bowls, £9 granite, £4 spikes and £6 oak with a small sheet of mdf, £45 +/- I think I could be a great sounding and looking enclosure.

Looking at the peerless xls 10". Any have any idea how to model this?

Maybe you could also consider Scan-Speak 26W/4558T00 in addition to Peerless 10" XXLS/835016. The Scan-Speak has a lower free-air resonance frequency and might achieve lower total Q in a similarly sized enclosure.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4558t00.pdf

"If im right in thinking this allows the cabinet size to be half of the recommended size. "

Sorry, that's not isobaric. The drivers will have to work in whatever size the bowels are. I would run them Push-Pull and use a Linkwitz transform.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would run them Push-Pull

To be isobarik the drivers need to be couple together driving the same volume (with a small coupling cavity between the 2 drivers (ie 2 drivers act as a single compound driver). I can dig out pictures to illustrate if necessary.

I would go push-push over push-pull (cancelling 2nd order without doing anything about 3rd order creates a non-monotonic series of harmonics). Besides, push-pull probably wouldn't fit this configuration of half-spheres.

dave

Ok thanks Dave, let me try and be clear, as my understanding seems to be way off.

My goals were to try and design a sub, using two drivers to cancel/dampen each others forces, making a non-vibrating cabinet (within reason). And I believed that you could use two large drivers running in push-pull our isobaric to allow for a far smaller cabinet than if run normally (or a far bigger driver)

These bowls could be two separate sealed units, however joining them seemed to make more sense, a larger overall volume of air and the rear pressure form each driver canceled or balanced by the opposite movement of the other, as a passive radiator would work.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I saw these on the Voodoo thread, and thought they looked amazing, just didn't want to have to cut the metal, and thought this would lead to a more interesting design.

Am I right in thinking my sub would be omnidirectional? As its not got a baffle but is coming from a small slot.

Does anyone know how to model this?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Am I right in thinking my sub would be omnidirectional?

All subs are omnidirectional.

Isobarik will halve the volume needed for the same box Q, but one has to account for the overhead of the coupling chamber (or live with a magnet sticking out). A smaller coupling chamber is better.

attachment.php

A single pair of drivers in an isobarik cannot be push-push -- well they can, but the complexity & end volume makes the point moot. To do isobarik and push-push you need 4 drivers (top figure).

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• isobarik-configs.gif
    isobarik-configs.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,152
  • pushpush-pushpull-figures.gif
    pushpush-pushpull-figures.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 861
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Never heard a servo sub.

If you use good drivers, push-pull gains you little (ref Llambda Nick), and reduces the effectiveness of force cancelation. So i use good woofers & choose to maximize force cancellation.

The only mud is out in the yard after it rains.

I do have a pair of pushpush-pushpull box in the works, my thinking being that to do push-push without sacrificing force cancellation one needs to use 4 woofers/box.

dave

Thanks for the images.

So is the consensus push-push will be best?

Have been eying the Peerless XLS10 on ebay £69, half the cost of the Scan-Speak. Will they work, will they be good? Any better recommendations?

Peerless XLS10 Subwoofer P830452 Loudspeaker - Speaker. | eBay

Here are the specs:

Specifications

Nominal Impedance (Ohms)
Zd
Min Impedance
Zmin
DC Resistance (Ohms)
Re
Voice Coil Inductance (mH)
Le
Resonant Frequency (Hz)
Fs
Mechanical Q Factor
Qms
Electrical Q Factor
Qes
Total Q
Qts
Moving Mass (g)
Mms

Suspension Compliance (mm/N)
Cms
390um/M
Effective Cone Diameter (cm)
D
Effective Piston are (cm2)
Sd
Equivalent Volume (Ltrs)
Vas
Force Factor
Bl
Reference Voltage Sensitivity
dB
Weight of Magnet (kg)

A 36cm Hemisphere is approx 12 Litres.
Insert a 12m baffle with cutout and you down to 11.5 Litres! Subtract the driver volume from that again then calculate the bass response for a sealed cab. Methinks it might roll off quite high for a bass cab.....

@Xoc1 any way to help this along? The two cabinets will be joined i reckon a total of 19L.

Could run x4 like Planet 10's first picture the gap containing 2 magnets sticking out?

Would always rather have less better quality drivers than more cheap ones.

@djk, any recommendations for a 6-1/2" sub woofer?

I hear lots of people talking about Tang Band, just seem really hard to find in the UK.

Tons of drivers on eBay, hard to filter out the less than ideal stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.