ONE INCH thick Sono Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well it seems like it's almost forgotten, but IMO a sono tube is a very good, quick and easy way to do a sub. A buddy of mine has some Altec 416-8B's in some sono tubes with one inch thick walls. Problem is, I have no idea where to get such an item. Best i could do was to round up some left over tubes, but they only have walls 3/8" thick. Anyone know of a source (United States)
for the good kind (not concrete forms) of sono-tubes?

p.s. I know the obvious answer is to ask said buddy, but they were given to him from a now lost source as well.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Layer like plywood

How about stacking/layering the tubes like plywood. Not sure about fit/finish aesthetically.

Using same size (or larger for each additional layer) tube, slit tube for each outer layer lengthwise so you can slide over inner tube(s). Use glue, string to tie together while glue dries, etc. Might have benefits of plywood and CLD.

Doing this layering partially for ends where caps/bases are attached would be useful. Could be done on inside or outside of tube.

Don't now how well each layer would conform to adjacent layer.
Stagger the seam as required.
Been meaning to try it myself.

I used heavy duty PVC pipe. About 3/4" thick and very heavy.

Attachments

• 2012-01-22_18-18-52_468.jpg
    2012-01-22_18-18-52_468.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 628
  • 2012-01-22_18-18-33_798.jpg
    2012-01-22_18-18-33_798.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 598
  • sub up small.jpg
    sub up small.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 599
  • Sub almost done small.jpg
    Sub almost done small.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 593
They look fantastic ! My only question is, what's the largest size they are available in ? (diameter wise, i mean)

Mine is schedule 80. See this chart:

PVC and CPVC Pipes - Schedule 40 & 80

My piece was not perfectly round, so to make end caps, you will want to oversize them and then go around with a flush cut router bit and the out-of-round won't really matter. If you get really luck, you might be able to find just the right diameter and screw the driver directly to the tube.

Greg

hi,
Just gathering information for my sonotube build ,If you want to put them together and glue or foam them ,they have a wax layer that's used to keep moisture out of the walls,got to remove it before anything will stick to it,
A aluminum siding Co. might have the tubes for free,they get the rolls of stock on big 3/4" thick walled tubes ,then throw away the tube after the the metal is used off it,I don't know how big around they are.But I got this info from a guy that did use them for our purpose!
NS

howdie!:D
Did you use a port or just put it to the end of the tube ? Like a OB.
I am thinking,lol, I might put the speaker up the tube a little and close off the end and use smaller tube to make a port outside the tube,that would let you adjust about any length port you wanted,might be a way to tune it too,
I am going to use a program to design it and convert the square to a circle ,hopefully can get it close to specs.
I have seen the green tubes ,HEAVY ,lol,I have a cement supply here ,I will probably use the card board type ,I have 4 subs that are 12" so I am thinking 18" tube ,maybe 16" still playing with the numbers.
Got any good Ideas I'm listening,LOL.
Cheers,
NS:)

Believe it or not, did that with 5.25" in a 6" PCV pipe a long time ago...bolted them up high in a van - torpedo looking things, with a outside vent pipe (used a 90)

Yes tuned with the exterior pipe, 1.5"

howdie!:D

I am thinking,lol, I might put the speaker up the tube a little and close off the end and use smaller tube to make a port outside the tube,that would let you adjust about any length port you wanted,might be a way to tune it too,

NS:)

well yes maybe....can you work with WinIsd or some other box program?

Do you have frequency generator?

Also, are you really sold on this idea...I don't have the 15" PVC "green pipe" speakers anymore (I really don't want tell you what I did with them :xeye:).

If the PVC works best for you, you'll want to line them with cork or dynamat.

Yes got everything but a distortion meter,will have one soon,lol.
So you can tell me ,,,,,PSSSSSTTT" what did you do with them?
I got bass box pro,Sencore sig gen,and I am not hung up on these just not built any tube speakers,I might end up with the Klipsch horns,A friend heard the 7K$ ones and wouldn't shut up about them,lol. I am looking for some outstanding bass nice and clean,and covering the lower end 100hz on down,,,,

google homewreckers I built the isoberic chamber one It used 2 18" and was 36" square and 48" tall and had a 3000 watt amp pushing the 2 speakers,he used it in a club setting,you could hear it pounding about a block away,lol,but it was a boomer great for deep single noted bass,but I didn't like it for anything but heavy metal or pounding bass,it just didn't have a smoothness to it if you know what I'm saying,It did crack the wall and some windows beer slid off tables,ect.I built nelson's slot loaded speakers,I used 12 speakers per side ,it's nice and smooth ,but I still like the sub to fill it out,SRV is awsum,but Cher sounds just as good on them I have 400 watt amps but the 24 speakers don't need the power to get loud ,,,,,,,did you like the tubes? or ditch this and build the K's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.