Isobaric - less then $20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This sight has limited attachment file size, so using a free photobucket is really a great way to go. All you do is copy and paste the IMG code to the post and...
EasyExample.png
=
easybutton2.jpg

I built this for a friend almost 15 years ago IIRC. He had been into audio practically all of his life and were discussing stuff he previously had which included massive bass arrays. And so I ran some numbers and came up with something "new". IIRC it is 8-4'x8' sheets and is ~350#. The sides and baffle are 2.25" and the rest is 1.5", the port opening is 20.5"x5". So sure - getting this thing moved into a house is a chore. Even though it is HEAVY I can move it around on carpet by myself, and without the drivers in it I can also stand it up by myself. I'm not in the greatest shape either. Anyway this became mine a couple years back and it's at another friends place, but they are afraid to use it because they might break the house or something. It's OK for the home theater bass but the stuff I do now is WAY more fun even though it lacks in the lowest couple octaves.

One of my other friends had it for a bit. He wanted to mount a stripper pole to it, but this guy also built a half pipe in the house between the living room and kitchen so this is no biggie really... :D

@ Etocynned

Here is a small scale example how to tune a box with semi built box and clamps.

These are flare ports to give this box a bit of low end; I guess I could have thought this with out calculator (hours), but instead trimmed the wood flares as needed to reach the 60HZ tuning.

The box does go down to 50hz which is very good for this FR driver.

Took a couple reads Doug but that makes alot of sense. Just vary the area of he vent till it hits where you want.

Are you playing a specific tone till you hit minimum motion to determine tuning?

Do you find that you sometimes have overlap between minimum motion and too narow a vent to pass enough air without turbulence?

Attachments

• Pic 02.jpg
    Pic 02.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
double trouble

awkward....I think the train has left the station; the pieces are cut yes? you have this idea about a sealed box yes?

One fellow did post something about Iso sealed boxes (I'll try to get this right). Since the one woofer is compressing the air inside the box and the opposite woofer is "floating" outside - they get out of sync (air builds up between the cones). This is more of a problem the louder you play it and less of a problem with a ported box.

btw, they do manufacture mechanical coupled Iso drivers.

Onward!...post pics when done, looking forward to your results.

a ...
One fellow did post something about Iso sealed boxes (I'll try to get this right). Since the one woofer is compressing the air inside the box and the opposite woofer is "floating" outside - they get out of sync (air builds up between the cones). This is more of a problem the louder you play it and less of a problem with a ported box. ...

You have it backwards... isobaric works better in a sealed box than a ported box. The "outer" driver of an air-coupled isobaric pair is always going to move further than the "inner" driver. The difference in excursion is proportional to the difference between the volume between the drivers and the volume of the box. With a ported box, the box gets very "stiff" (acts like a very small box) at port resonance.

The main idea is correct; I'd be okay with 1/2 credit.

e.g. I had a good size, Iso, 2 pair, 10" "floppy" cone woofers box. The weirdness was one pair did fine, the second pair simply did not work. If it was turned up, one driver was pegged into the basket (room side). I did see others have had this issue.

I did try resealing it, didn't change a thing. My guess here is that a speaker with a tighter suspension would be a better choice. (it might self correct)

OR a smaller cone, as far as I know, never had a problem with the 8" mcm woofers.*

Something to think about, would a small 1/16" vent hole, be better or worse?

* my buddy never sent the response curve, however in the the spirt of diy gave me a calibrated microphone and said "DIY my friend"....Need to look and download RTA?

The "outer" driver of an air-coupled isobaric pair is always going to move further than the "inner" driver.

Last edited:
D**m the Torpedoes

Lets give this a try - glued up the two 50" tall single fold TQWT subs.
Now the bass will be from one location, which is recommended by most.
[8 - buyout, 6.5 drivers]
Need some legs, might just add pieces to the old Y stands.

Attachments

• DSC03651.JPG
    DSC03651.JPG
    803.2 KB · Views: 193
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.