SS15 build x8 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 08:50 PM   #21
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Thank you! Looks like your version can fit in my box
I've also considered recalc/design, but understanding all the aspects of th takes quite a bit of reading, I'm familiar with calculating horns in hornresp though.

OK, I do have 18xb l18p300 and probably acces to pd.186, but i consider buying two new ones for this build, could be tbx100 or what driver would be ideal?

I'm planning two builds 2x18"th + 4x15" th,
At hand i have:

4 pcs pd.156,
4 sheets 18mm birch ply 151x151cm
1 sheet 15mm birch ply 151x151cm
1 box 18mm birch ply dimensions: 90x70x60 (hxdxw)
18" different options / buy optimal

At first i actually considered 12" tapped, then I began wondering if the pd.156 is better suited for TH than some of my stock og empty horns: martin 215 / 115 / 15"scoops. I don't know about this?
Then got all this ply for 50.
I've considered first tad, then tham15, which I think is smaller, then SS15.
But my ply is 151x151, guess this build is for 122x244

Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 10:42 PM   #22
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
col's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
Scaling up the SS15 takes a bit of patience.
The SS15 and the TH18 have the same internal width 533 / 535 mm, no problem there! It could be wider depending on construction and timber cutting reqirements.
The 18 version would probably require 18mm Ply.
There are scaling issues as the SS15 is carefully 'compromised' to allow it to be cut from one 8' x 4' sheet, and you don't need to with the bigger cabinet.
I had some time on my hands and came up with this version.
Note the S2 dimension does not completely follow the model, Its an idea I am working on at the moment. The dip in the sim at 100Hz will probably be smaller due to inductance and the smaller throat size. Width is 533 internal at the moment.
The dimensions could be varied a bit to suit. but are all related to each other in differing ways...
Current Driver is the B&C TBX100. What driver do you have?
Regards Xoc1

Hi Xoc1,

This is great, thanks for inputing some of your time. I'm not as lucky with driver selection as $$Maan, The drivers I have were bought on special a year or so ago and purchased to replace a 15" in a 135ltr BR enclosure (enclosures now being replaced). They are Peavey 18" Low Riders. Specifications:

Power handling: 800 watts RMS VCdia: 4" Le: 0.87 mH Impedance: 8 ohms Re: 6.21 ohms Frequency response: 25-1000 Hz Fs: 28.9 SPL: 97.3 dB 1W/1m Vas: 14.26 cu. ft. Qms: 8.77 Qes: 0.356 Qts: 0.342 Xmax: 9.6 mm Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18.25", Cutout diameter: 16.75", Depth: 7". Can provide TS parameters later after Iv'e measured with WT3.

I'm currently building a Cubo 18 extended to see how they fair in a hybrid cab. Iv'e been given a fair amount of 18mm form ply and have a table saw so I'm up for a bit of prototyping. I also have a very big patch of grass in a backyard, and testing mics, this could get interesting ;-)

col.
__________________
http://www.minirig.org.au
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 10:50 PM   #23
ljk11 is offline ljk11  Trinidad and Tobago
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port of Spain
Is it a Radio Shack meter ?
If so you can use REW software to take some rudimentary measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bko69 View Post
i have an SPL meter. i could take some measurements with that. but i don't think that will be very accurate. is there another way to take measurements? i have a DBX RTA mic if that can be used to get measurements some how.


bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:12 AM   #24
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Xoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Devon UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Hi Xoc1,

This is great, thanks for inputing some of your time. I'm not as lucky with driver selection as $$Maan, The drivers I have were bought on special a year or so ago and purchased to replace a 15" in a 135ltr BR enclosure (enclosures now being replaced). They are Peavey 18" Low Riders. Specifications:

Power handling: 800 watts RMS VCdia: 4" Le: 0.87 mH Impedance: 8 ohms Re: 6.21 ohms Frequency response: 25-1000 Hz Fs: 28.9 SPL: 97.3 dB 1W/1m Vas: 14.26 cu. ft. Qms: 8.77 Qes: 0.356 Qts: 0.342 Xmax: 9.6 mm Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18.25", Cutout diameter: 16.75", Depth: 7". Can provide TS parameters later after Iv'e measured with WT3.

I'm currently building a Cubo 18 extended to see how they fair in a hybrid cab. Iv'e been given a fair amount of 18mm form ply and have a table saw so I'm up for a bit of prototyping. I also have a very big patch of grass in a backyard, and testing mics, this could get interesting ;-)

col.
Hi Col
The Peavey 18 Low Rider Looks like it will work well in the Cubo sub.
The cubo is a fairly forgiving design when it comes to utilising various drivers.
The cubo will only reach up to 100Hz or so. Make sure your mid tops can get that low to match.
A quick sim with the Cubo Sub / Peavey 18
Regards Xoc1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubo Sub Peavey 18 Low.jpg (84.6 KB, 575 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:49 AM   #25
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
col's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
Hi Col
The Peavey 18 Low Rider Looks like it will work well in the Cubo sub.
The cubo is a fairly forgiving design when it comes to utilising various drivers.
The cubo will only reach up to 100Hz or so. Make sure your mid tops can get that low to match.
A quick sim with the Cubo Sub / Peavey 18
Regards Xoc1
Thanks for that, the Cubo 18 prototype is nearly done. I'm just waiting for the glue to dry and for a couple of MiniDSP 2x4 balanced kits to arrive so that I can do a 35-40hz high pass.

rebuilding the 18"s
__________________
http://www.minirig.org.au
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 10:21 AM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
@Xoc1; I guess external height 95cm fits ok with my internal height 90cm if the ply is 18mm, the internal height in your drawing would be 91,4 cm

How do you guys think I'mk best of with my pd.156?
at first i thought of tham15 due to it's simplicity,
Then i started considering ss15, but my ply is 151x151
18mm might be a bit heavy for a 15" design?
In fantasy I miss the summer sun and the sound of these!
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 12:11 PM   #27
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by bko69 View Post
i have an SPL meter. i could take some measurements with that. but i don't think that will be very accurate. is there another way to take measurements? i have a DBX RTA mic if that can be used to get measurements some how.


bob
you could use ARTA with your dbx mic.
ARTA - program for the impulse response measurement and for real-time spectrum analysis and frequency response measurements.
STEPS - program for frequency response measurements with stepped-sine excitation.
LIMP - program for the loudspeaker impedance measurement and loudspeaker parameters estimation.

.

the sofware is free.
al you need is full duplex audio on you pc.
note for low measurement >impuls>edit menu>resample to lower frequency.
__________________
one good thing about music ,when it hit you feel no pain.
so hit me with music
.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 04:51 PM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$Maan View Post
18mm might be a bit heavy for a 15" design?
18mm plywood is not too heavy if you prefer to have less output loss at high power due to cabinet wall flexing.

I would only consider using 1/2" ply on a sub the size of a SS15 if light weight was given a higher priority than sound quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 05:03 AM   #29
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
col's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
The Peavey 18 Low Rider Looks like it will work well in the Cubo sub.
A quick sim with the Cubo Sub / Peavey 18
Regards Xoc1
Xoc1 - is that hornresp sim done with the Cubo sub or the cubo 18 "extended"? Iv'e built the Cubo 18 extended, which is considerably smaller than the Cubo Sub (by around 100 liters).
__________________
http://www.minirig.org.au
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 10:52 AM   #30
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Xoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Devon UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Xoc1 - is that hornresp sim done with the Cubo sub or the cubo 18 "extended"? Iv'e built the Cubo 18 extended, which is considerably smaller than the Cubo Sub (by around 100 liters).
Hi Col.
The Sim was with the Cubo Sub. I had the data to hand as I helped Rademakers (Cubo) with drawing and development of the cabinet.
PS maybe You and $$$man should concider starting a new thread, as we seem to have hijacked bko69's build thread.
Regards Xoc1
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: B&G Neo8 x8 Tenson Swap Meet 9 16th August 2012 01:25 PM
EV X8 crossover lonestarguitar PA Systems 2 2nd August 2011 01:07 PM
Air leak in ss15 TH severely affect output? m R g S r Subwoofers 21 26th April 2011 05:23 AM
New??? Dac NOS X8 with Tube output jeffjazz Digital Line Level 0 4th February 2010 05:25 AM
WTB: TDA1543 chips x8 drjlo Swap Meet 1 9th June 2008 07:49 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2