SS15 build x8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you! Looks like your version can fit in my box
I've also considered recalc/design, but understanding all the aspects of th takes quite a bit of reading, I'm familiar with calculating horns in hornresp though.

OK, I do have 18xb l18p300 and probably acces to pd.186, but i consider buying two new ones for this build, could be tbx100 or what driver would be ideal?

I'm planning two builds 2x18"th + 4x15" th,
At hand i have:

4 pcs pd.156,
4 sheets 18mm birch ply 151x151cm
1 sheet 15mm birch ply 151x151cm
1 box 18mm birch ply dimensions: 90x70x60 (hxdxw)
18" different options / buy optimal

At first i actually considered 12" tapped, then I began wondering if the pd.156 is better suited for TH than some of my stock og empty horns: martin 215 / 115 / 15"scoops. I don't know about this?
Then got all this ply for £50.
I've considered first tad, then tham15, which I think is smaller, then SS15.
But my ply is 151x151, guess this build is for 122x244

Thanks again!

Scaling up the SS15 takes a bit of patience.
The SS15 and the TH18 have the same internal width 533 / 535 mm, no problem there! It could be wider depending on construction and timber cutting reqirements.
The 18 version would probably require 18mm Ply.
There are scaling issues as the SS15 is carefully 'compromised' to allow it to be cut from one 8' x 4' sheet, and you don't need to with the bigger cabinet.
I had some time on my hands and came up with this version.
Note the S2 dimension does not completely follow the model, Its an idea I am working on at the moment. The dip in the sim at 100Hz will probably be smaller due to inductance and the smaller throat size. Width is 533 internal at the moment.
The dimensions could be varied a bit to suit. but are all related to each other in differing ways...
Current Driver is the B&C TBX100. What driver do you have?
Regards Xoc1

Hi Xoc1,

This is great, thanks for inputing some of your time. I'm not as lucky with driver selection as $$Maan, The drivers I have were bought on special a year or so ago and purchased to replace a 15" in a 135ltr BR enclosure (enclosures now being replaced). They are Peavey 18" Low Riders. Specifications:

Power handling: 800 watts RMS • VCdia: 4" • Le: 0.87 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 6.21 ohms • Frequency response: 25-1000 Hz • Fs: 28.9 • SPL: 97.3 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 14.26 cu. ft. • Qms: 8.77 • Qes: 0.356 • Qts: 0.342 • Xmax: 9.6 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18.25", Cutout diameter: 16.75", Depth: 7". Can provide TS parameters later after Iv'e measured with WT3.

I'm currently building a Cubo 18 extended to see how they fair in a hybrid cab. Iv'e been given a fair amount of 18mm form ply and have a table saw so I'm up for a bit of prototyping. I also have a very big patch of grass in a backyard, and testing mics, this could get interesting ;-)

col.

Hi Xoc1,

This is great, thanks for inputing some of your time. I'm not as lucky with driver selection as $$Maan, The drivers I have were bought on special a year or so ago and purchased to replace a 15" in a 135ltr BR enclosure (enclosures now being replaced). They are Peavey 18" Low Riders. Specifications:

Power handling: 800 watts RMS • VCdia: 4" • Le: 0.87 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 6.21 ohms • Frequency response: 25-1000 Hz • Fs: 28.9 • SPL: 97.3 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 14.26 cu. ft. • Qms: 8.77 • Qes: 0.356 • Qts: 0.342 • Xmax: 9.6 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18.25", Cutout diameter: 16.75", Depth: 7". Can provide TS parameters later after Iv'e measured with WT3.

I'm currently building a Cubo 18 extended to see how they fair in a hybrid cab. Iv'e been given a fair amount of 18mm form ply and have a table saw so I'm up for a bit of prototyping. I also have a very big patch of grass in a backyard, and testing mics, this could get interesting ;-)

col.

Hi Col
The Peavey 18 Low Rider Looks like it will work well in the Cubo sub.
The cubo is a fairly forgiving design when it comes to utilising various drivers.
The cubo will only reach up to 100Hz or so. Make sure your mid tops can get that low to match.
A quick sim with the Cubo Sub / Peavey 18:)
Regards Xoc1

Attachments

• Cubo Sub Peavey 18 Low.jpg
    Cubo Sub Peavey 18 Low.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,032
Hi Col
The Peavey 18 Low Rider Looks like it will work well in the Cubo sub.
The cubo is a fairly forgiving design when it comes to utilising various drivers.
The cubo will only reach up to 100Hz or so. Make sure your mid tops can get that low to match.
A quick sim with the Cubo Sub / Peavey 18:)
Regards Xoc1

Thanks for that, the Cubo 18 prototype is nearly done. I'm just waiting for the glue to dry and for a couple of MiniDSP 2x4 balanced kits to arrive so that I can do a 35-40hz high pass.

rebuilding the 18"s

@Xoc1; I guess external height 95cm fits ok with my internal height 90cm if the ply is 18mm, the internal height in your drawing would be 91,4 cm

How do you guys think I'mk best of with my pd.156?
at first i thought of tham15 due to it's simplicity,
Then i started considering ss15, but my ply is 151x151
18mm might be a bit heavy for a 15" design?
In fantasy I miss the summer sun and the sound of these!

i have an SPL meter. i could take some measurements with that. but i don't think that will be very accurate. is there another way to take measurements? i have a DBX RTA mic if that can be used to get measurements some how.

bob
you could use ARTA with your dbx mic.
ARTA - program for the impulse response measurement and for real-time spectrum analysis and frequency response measurements.
STEPS - program for frequency response measurements with stepped-sine excitation.
LIMP - program for the loudspeaker impedance measurement and loudspeaker parameters estimation.

the sofware is free.
al you need is full duplex audio on you pc.
note for low measurement >impuls>edit menu>resample to lower frequency.

Xoc1 - is that hornresp sim done with the Cubo sub or the cubo 18 "extended"? Iv'e built the Cubo 18 extended, which is considerably smaller than the Cubo Sub (by around 100 liters).
Hi Col.
The Sim was with the Cubo Sub. I had the data to hand as I helped Rademakers (Cubo) with drawing and development of the cabinet.:eek:
PS maybe You and $$$man should concider starting a new thread, as we seem to have hijacked bko69's build thread.
Regards Xoc1

Hi Col.
The Sim was with the Cubo Sub. I had the data to hand as I helped Rademakers (Cubo) with drawing and development of the cabinet.:eek:
PS maybe You and $$$man should concider starting a new thread, as we seem to have hijacked bko69's build thread.
Regards Xoc1

Xoc1, thanks for that. Yes, I think a new thread is in order. Sorry, bko69 didn't mean to hijack your thread, BTW nice build! :D

col.

The glue is finally done! 3 weekends and lots of sticky fingers. it's all down hill from here. just the finish work to go. i had 2 helpers helping me other wise the gluing would have take a lot longer.

more photos can be found at this link

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i have not thought far enough ahead to figure out what i'm going to do for grills. where do i get them? will they rattle? will they be to restrictive? anyone have any input about grills?

bob

I can't wait till you report on these, I am extremely happy with 4, I can only imagine 8 of them.. I used 2 this weekend at a sweet 15...

You can see the subs behind my facade, in the middle...

Quite a few people attended...

i have not thought far enough ahead to figure out what i'm going to do for grills. where do i get them? will they rattle? will they be to restrictive? anyone have any input about grills?

bob
Hi bko69 - Looking Good!
Grilles were discussed quite extensively in the TH18 Thread
JBell posted am example of a basic grille here....
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/190635-th-18-flat-35hz-xoc1s-design-2.html#post2602327
A grille will make a significant difference to the strength of the cabinet as it reinforces the weakest part of the speaker enclosure.
TundraLTD did some interesting sims in akabak using a 50% open ares grille that showed minimal differences to the response of the speaker
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/190635-th-18-flat-35hz-xoc1s-design-22.html#post2618973
Regards Xoc1

fhperez: nice photos. everything is so nice and clean. are those qspot 260s i see?

sorry did not answer your question about how i will stack them. i think i'm going to do 2 clusters of 4, sideways with mouths touching in the center. i'll post a photo later when they are done. not sure if i will center stack them (like i should) or split them up 4 on each side. guess i can try it both ways.

bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.