The Othorn tapped horn

Quick question,

Out of the B&C 21DS115 or the 21SW115 which one is more suitable for the Othorn?
They are both the same price but I cant decide which one will work best...
Buy the 21SW152. The cooling is better and it has a more linear behavior out to 15 mm excursion. The DS115 is a good driver and you have the option to get it in 8 Ohms and also it's allowing a tiny bit more excursion , but the difference doesn't really translates in more output because of power compressions.

Buy the 21SW152. The cooling is better and it has a more linear behavior out to 15 mm excursion. The DS115 is a good driver and you have the option to get it in 8 Ohms and also it's allowing a tiny bit more excursion , but the difference doesn't really translates in more output because of power compressions.

Agreed. If the extra $150 per driver is too much then use the DS115. The SW115 does not have enough motor.

Test cuts for our 12 Othorns being employed for this summer in New Zealand. Running 21SW152-4 drivers and powered by K20's with Core 110f dsp.

So much love and appreciation going out to Josh for his efforts and everyone else that has contributed data along the way!

Will keep everyone updated

:)

Thanks.

That's a lot of bass capability. Good luck with the build and please share your experiences or thoughts along the way.

Thanks.

That's a lot of bass capability. Good luck with the build and please share your experiences or thoughts along the way.

Hey Josh

Sorry, just to clarify a point, we are building 8 Othorns to begin with, not 12. I typed out 12 without even thinking, as that is the number of drivers we ordered, and now for some reason I cant go back and edit the original post.

Will definitely keep everyone updated, including photos and thoughts from every step of the way, from the start of the build (which begins in two weeks) too the system rocking out at Twisted Frequency Festival in New Zealand this new years.

If you're in the area, and like your electronic music, roll on down and have a beer with us :)

Would love to hear the rig :) if you blast it hard I might hear it to the other side of the world!

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the othorn over the new skhorn?

To be honest, I always wanted to build scoops (being an oldskool Jungle/Dub lover at heart!). The Othorn was brought to my attention by my friend who does soundtech for us. The Othorn works for us due to the single driver and that fact that I can fit them into my current transport setup with a few mm to spare! Very happy about that :)

I think I will definitely want to build the Skhorn at a later date

Attachments

• 2017-10-26 (3).png
    2017-10-26 (3).png
    28.7 KB · Views: 503
Adding some custom bracing for counter-sunk bolts, so we can easily get in and out for the next 20 years, without destroying our beautiful birchwood =D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Can I prevail upon you please to do an FR and impedance curve test on your build with the access panel off and the mouth facing into the ground so it's effectively blocked off? Mucking around with the sims suggests that it might be a quick way to boost the efficiency of the cab and sacrifice a little low end - real-world measurements will confirm if that's the case.

Can I prevail upon you please to do an FR and impedance curve test on your build

What conditions would satisfy your request brother? We're pretty DIY in terms of equipment down here. Could definitely rustle something up for you in January, as time constraints mean I load up the trailer ready for travel and events as soon as the paint drys on the final Othorn, and then straight into a month of work :)

What conditions would satisfy your request brother? We're pretty DIY in terms of equipment down here. Could definitely rustle something up for you in January, as time constraints mean I load up the trailer ready for travel and events as soon as the paint drys on the final Othorn, and then straight into a month of work :)

Ideal would be a simple impedance curve (via DATS or something similar), followed by a 28.3V @10M sine sweep FR measurement in an open area down to just below Fb would be ideal, though failing that, an FR measurement done with the mic at least one mouth's width away from the TH's mouth would be fine.