Best sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Behringer DXC2496 is only £215 at Digital Village if stock is not expected at CPC anytime soon.

Behringer DCX2496 Loudspeaker Management System | DV247

Is the Cubo design really going to play lower than ported though? A small path length horn doesn't seem like the right solution for low bass.

If you can afford the obscene enclosure volumes they require (around 300L per driver!) the Eminence Kilomax 18 drivers play very well to 30Hz ported. Not many pro 18" drivers get much below 40Hz. The Kilomax does but it has reduced max SPL from 40-60Hz, which isn't desirable, but if you have 4 I think you'll have the overhead to negate the issue.

Is the Cubo design really going to play lower than ported though? A small path length horn doesn't seem like the right solution for low bass.

If you can afford the obscene enclosure volumes they require (around 300L per driver!) the Eminence Kilomax 18 drivers play very well to 30Hz ported. Not many pro 18" drivers get much below 40Hz. The Kilomax does but it has reduced max SPL from 40-60Hz, which isn't desirable, but if you have 4 I think you'll have the overhead to negate the issue.

I must admit that I am quite enthusiastic about the Cubo Sub as I helped out with drawing it up:eek:
It has been built and tested independently by quite a few people now and has been well received.
I took the dims for the Cubo Sub and used them to create an Akbak sim
The comparison is a 300litre reflex tuned to 30hz - Same size as the Cubo Sub
The driver is the Precision Devices PD1850

Akabak says the Cubo Sub is more efficient from about 34hz up.
I know which one I would choose;)

Attachments

• CubosubVReflex.jpg
    CubosubVReflex.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 1,332
I must admit that I am quite enthusiastic about the Cubo Sub as I helped out with drawing it up:eek:
It has been built and tested independently by quite a few people now and has been well received.
I took the dims for the Cubo Sub and used them to create an Akbak sim
The comparison is a 300litre reflex tuned to 30hz - Same size as the Cubo Sub
The driver is the Precision Devices PD1850

Akabak says the Cubo Sub is more efficient from about 34hz up.
I know which one I would choose;)
To compare efficiency "apples to apples" you would need to raise the tuning of the 300litre reflex to match the higher F3 of the Cubo Sub.

A reflex box with a matching F3 to the Cubo Sub may not require as large of an enclosure for good performance, the 300litre reflex tuned to 30hz is a bit "droopy" above Fb.

I looked at this again and realised that I was not being fair as Dr EM had suggested the Eminence Kilomax Pro 18"
So I ran the sims again.
The Kilomax Pro 18" has a very good response in the 300litre 30Hz cabinet Dr EM suggested.
There is a problem with the driver excursion from 40 to 60hz as noted, as Xmax (10mm)is reached at about 40V@44hz - 200W/8R
The Cubo Sub PD1850 on the other hand is good for 80V - 800W/8R;)
Regards
Martin

Attachments

• CubosubPDVReflexKM.jpg
    CubosubPDVReflexKM.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Disp CubosubPDVReflexKM.jpg
    Disp CubosubPDVReflexKM.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 504
I looked at this again and realised that I was not being fair as Dr EM had suggested the Eminence Kilomax Pro 18"
So I ran the sims again.
The Kilomax Pro 18" has a very good response in the 300litre 30Hz cabinet Dr EM suggested.
There is a problem with the driver excursion from 40 to 60hz as noted, as Xmax (10mm)is reached at about 40V@44hz - 200W/8R
The Cubo Sub PD1850 on the other hand is good for 80V - 800W/8R;)
Regards
Martin
Again, the ported box is tuned to about 28 Hz, the Cubo around 37 Hz.
Not apples to apples, FR needs to be matched to make valid comparisons.

Shrink the ported box, raise the tuning, it will increase in sensitivity and handle more power before reaching Xmax.

Cubo will still beat it by a bit, but when power compression is factored in, the difference may only be only a couple dB between the smaller BR compared to the Cubo.

Having heard the Eminence 4015LF sound clean in a BR and kind of fall apart at high power in a TH (though playing louder) the choices to me are not as clear as they seem in sim world.

Have fun,
Art

Jamie
Please be more specific about what equipment you already have.
Amps
Speakers
Crossovers
Etc
£2000 is probably plenty. But if you want the best advice, help us to help you:D

probably it wil.
bas reflex is a good option for a first bild.
the design below might be posible to.
made out of 1 sheet 5'*10'
could be tuned even lower using the same 5*10' sheet.
neo dan has bild simular.
tobiaz2.jpg

if tuned lower for an f3 28 hz its going be 144 high,bit deeper ,and less wide
tobiaz%203.jpg

best%20sub.jpg

speaker is L18P200-N

Hey, has anyone built this design? I'm thinking about something similar, small footprint, with a pair of B&C 15's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.