Best sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are any of these really good ? B&C SPEAKERS

The horn designs don't go as low as you want.
The S18CN BR design goes low and uses an excellent, very expensive speaker.

That said, you can get more output using a pair of cheaper 18” , though it will take up more space.

Using the same BC18SW115 speaker in the Keystone sub would give you more than 6 dB more output than the S18CN, but the extension would not be as low.

EQ to flatten the response of the speaker, pull out the peaks in the response.
Don't boost below Fb, and use a 24 dB BW filter about 5 Hz below Fb.

Usually your room will have some bass problem frequencies, cutting those frequencies can clean up the sound, though often times a frequency "too loud" at one point in the room will be "too weak" elsewhere, so you have to EQ for the average.

The Jbell SS15 doesn't float your boat?
The OP wants something that goes low, the SS15 rolls off below about 50 Hz.
Push it hard at 40 Hz and you get over 100% distortion.

His Stadium Horns, or my smaller Keystone get down closer to Dubstep territory.

Josh Ricci's Gjallerhorn is the only PA type TH I am aware of with really serious output below 35 Hz.

That said, it is twice the size of the Keystone.

probably it wil.
bas reflex is a good option for a first bild.
the design below might be posible to.
made out of 1 sheet 5'*10'
could be tuned even lower using the same 5*10' sheet.
neo dan has bild simular.
tobiaz2.jpg

if tuned lower for an f3 28 hz its going be 144 high,bit deeper ,and less wide
tobiaz%203.jpg

best%20sub.jpg

speaker is L18P200-N

Last edited:
The best sub for you is a very open question.
One issue is what other audio equipment you are going to use, as this will dictate which frequency to crossover to the rest of the system.
Another issue would be your budget. Some subs here are very economical - others less so - especially after adding suitable amps and crossover systems.
A description of what you have got, and a budget figure would help:)

epa:

keep in mind my headaches with a box similar to what you posted. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/127908-jbells-set-four-tapped-horns-22.html#post2144696 where I had too many dimensions similar and caused myself some 'not predicted by hornresp' issues...

Also yes, I second xoc1's request for some more information. There is never a 'best' -- but with enough information on what you have, how you plan on using it, where, how loud at what distance, and budget -- a limited number of choices will appear, and then it's up to personal taste on what direction to go from there.

hi all
agreed we don't have enough info on wat the ts exactly want's.

the design i sugested is as simple as it gets,only a br or closed box is simpler,and its one sheet 5'*10'

neo dan bild simular boxes and is going to bild some more.
so he is happy with it i asume.
admitted i haven't bild this ,so you could be right.
i'm going to bild a testbox some day ,and if it works it wil be replacing my 650 ltr flh's

The best sub for you is a very open question.
One issue is what other audio equipment you are going to use, as this will dictate which frequency to crossover to the rest of the system.
Another issue would be your budget. Some subs here are very economical - others less so - especially after adding suitable amps and crossover systems.
A description of what you have got, and a budget figure would help:)

Got a budget of about £2000 for everything i've already got 4x proel midtops

Sorry guys :)

Ok i have 3x EP2500 bass amps - 4x proel midtops - NO CROSSOVER - all the leads i need (i think)

Got £2000 to spend on sub bass now ! :)
Which Proel Midtop cabs are they:confused:
It is important to know what crossover frequency they can be used at.
Some of the TH cabs suggested so far crossover quite low.
The EP2500 amps are OK but can have issues if driven down to 2 ohms.
They are well capable of 650 /750W per channel at 4 ohms or 1500 w mono bridged into a single 8 ohm speaker.
You are going to need a decent crossover like a Behringer DCX2496.

Is this the cab you have
Proel Products
They look OK with a double 12" and a 1.4" compression horn. Being a double 12" they have a 4 ohm impedance- so it would take 2 of your EP2500 amps to drive all 4 of them, they have a wide bandwidth so you could use a fairly low crossover frequency.
This means that you could take advantage of some of the compact tapped horn designs that have been recently developed.:D
One that comes to mind is the Cubo Sub 18" that is available on Freespeakerplans
Home
The Cubo sub has been used sucessfully with the Precision Devices PD1850/1851.
The Cubo is quite a simple build - not that more complicated than a reflex cab.
Regards
Martin

Great thread!

Just my 2 cents,when I did live sound for a local band we had 4 cabinets, cerwin vega 18's in a compact folded horn type cabinets and most of the time we never needed but two of them for your average room of about say 2000 sqaure feet any bigger than that we used all four of them and I could still feel the lows in my body running the board 40 to 60 feet away.
In some very small venue's even just one was over kill!
I got many request from the bar owners and bartenders to turn it down abit and of course I did,for a little while.He,he,he :)

jer

Is this the cab you have
Proel Products
They look OK with a double 12" and a 1.4" compression horn. Being a double 12" they have a 4 ohm impedance- so it would take 2 of your EP2500 amps to drive all 4 of them, they have a wide bandwidth so you could use a fairly low crossover frequency.
This means that you could take advantage of some of the compact tapped horn designs that have been recently developed.:D
One that comes to mind is the Cubo Sub 18" that is available on Freespeakerplans
Home
The Cubo sub has been used sucessfully with the Precision Devices PD1850/1851.
The Cubo is quite a simple build - not that more complicated than a reflex cab.
Regards
Martin

:? I run 2 midtops off just one channel without any problems ?

:? I run 2 midtops off just one channel without any problems ?

I have heard various opinions about the Behringer EP2500 Some people have run them into a 2 ohm load without problems, others have found that the amps failed.
It is hard to be definite as different speakers have different loading characteristics and some people run their systems harder than others.
If you are happy with the performance with 4 x 4ohm cabs off one amp then thats your choice.

Lets move on and look at some prices.
4 off Void Acoustics v18-1000 drivers £920 (Blue Aran - out of stock)
or
4 off Precision Devices PD1850 18" drivers £1200 (Blue Aran - in stock)

6 sheets of 18mm Birch Ply 1220 X 240 £360 (@ £60 per sheet) to make 4 Cubo Sub Cabinets.

Behringer DCX2496 Crossover £210 (CPC - again out of stock - understandable as this was the cheapest price I could find)

Thats close to £1800 pounds already (with the PD drivers):eek:

I have heard various opinions about the Behringer EP2500 Some people have run them into a 2 ohm load without problems, others have found that the amps failed.
It is hard to be definite as different speakers have different loading characteristics and some people run their systems harder than others.
If you are happy with the performance with 4 x 4ohm cabs off one amp then thats your choice.

Lets move on and look at some prices.
4 off Void Acoustics v18-1000 drivers £920 (Blue Aran - out of stock)
or
4 off Precision Devices PD1850 18" drivers £1200 (Blue Aran - in stock)

6 sheets of 18mm Birch Ply 1220 X 240 £360 (@ £60 per sheet) to make 4 Cubo Sub Cabinets.

Behringer DCX2496 Crossover £210 (CPC - again out of stock - understandable as this was the cheapest price I could find)

Thats close to £1800 pounds already (with the PD drivers):eek:

So for £2,000 its do-abe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.