38hz TH tang band 6.5...vs ported small vol. box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so i grabbed a QSC rmx1450 to power these. giving them about 400RMS each, and WOW! i can't believe i'm listening to 2 6.5" woofers making that much bass.

of course a 12 or 15" tapped horn would go lower, but these are PLENTY for the room. they sound great.

only one thing, they sound great at the rear of the room sitting on the couch, or standing in the room. as soon as you sit in the center of the room (in a chair my dad normally sits in) they sound terrible. well not terrible, but you dont hear or feel any of the bass. is that a room mode?

right now the mouths of the subs are firing towards me, each in a corner of the room. the sub on the right is in a real corner, the other is in half a corner because there is a staircase above it.

i tried moving around slightly, but it didnt help much. i could try firing into the corner and see how that sounds from different listening areas...

the one on the right is beneath the bookshelf speaker behind the couch...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

lol it sounds fine from the couch, but from the chair it doesnt. okay, i was probably going to build something else in the future, so maybe i'll build two more. i have all the power i could possibly need from the QSC amp, i think i read it does 700RMS at 2 ohms stereo. the tiny little tang bands would love that :D

With 4 of these and 700 watts to each i dont think my mids would keep up. A nice pair of front speakers were going to be next on the order of business, and i was going to bi-amp the fronts to get a decent mid bass and midrange. but these tapped horns with a single driver are so cheap to build, i might just do that..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.