I impulsively bought this woofer... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2010, 09:56 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I think this may be a good reason for endorsing the larger size drivers like OP has in his hands. And avoiding big-movement-in-hearing-range boxes - like tuned boxes. And avoiding 8 inch subs with enormous movements.

BTW, if concerned about Doppler distortion, TRUE horns and ESLs are the way to go.
Old 30th September 2010, 10:58 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
I think this may be a good reason for endorsing the larger size drivers like OP has in his hands. And avoiding big-movement-in-hearing-range boxes - like tuned boxes. And avoiding 8 inch subs with enormous movements.

BTW, if concerned about Doppler distortion, TRUE horns and ESLs are the way to go.
Speaking of ESLs I LOVED mine. LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED. They were Acoustats. I powered them with a Carver. They were big but close your eyes and they vanished. Acoustically speaking. Had to sell them when I moved.

What's a "true" horn? Do you mean folded horn subwoofers? On that note this 18" would be unreal in a horn. I'd need a longer house to enjoy it.
Old 30th September 2010, 11:38 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Should use an 8" vent... keep the airspeeds and distortion low. You can afford to as youre already using a big box.
Old 1st October 2010, 01:13 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Should use an 8" vent... keep the airspeeds and distortion low. You can afford to as youre already using a big box.
I think a smaller port sounds better. Large enough not to huff air of course. If the port is too large I find that the reflections inside the enclosure escape right out the port and I get a "shoe-box" sound even if it's tuned correctly. In a PA or automotive system I'd be all for it but not for a home theater. Maybe because of how close the listener is. Across the yard you'd never hear it.
Old 1st October 2010, 03:21 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzer408 View Post
What's a "true" horn?
Not a "tapped horn."
Old 16th October 2010, 02:29 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I had a chance to build a couple of enclosures to test this speaker. One is a 6.6 cubic ft. 24" cube with two 4" diameter ports 6" long (34hz). The other enclosure is 4.72 cubic ft. 24" tall, 13" wide, with 33" depth. One 6" port 10" long in front (34hz). Speaker in the side.

The cube box is ungodly loud. @.@ 100w rattles everything in the livingroom. It would be great for sound reinforcement but lacks deap bass. It's very "punchy" and kick drums slam your chest. I ran out of 4" pipe to try longer ports.

The second enclosure is sort of strange. If I use a shorter 4" long port (44hz) the deep bass extends lower then with the 10" port (34hz). I'm not sure why. I haven't had a chance to drive it hard yet. The kids went to bed.
Old 16th October 2010, 03:48 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2448 (Medium).JPG (111.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2447 (Medium).JPG (99.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 16th October 2010, 04:36 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Wow. If you're thinking about a port that big why not consider a PR and avoid the majority of the fluid losses associated with a port the size of Texas?
Old 16th October 2010, 04:38 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post

Are we talking about ESL's and subwoofer frequencies? I thought they had trouble with bass let alone sub-bass...
Old 16th October 2010, 06:03 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.Freeman View Post
Are we talking about ESL's and subwoofer frequencies? I thought they had trouble with bass let alone sub-bass...
An 8", or even some 6" subs, can out perform most ESLs when it comes to bass. ESLs can't move a large volume of air so the bass will seem lacking but they are playing it. I had a set that didn't have a seperate subwoofer and although the bass from the panel couldn't shake walls, they were so smooth and pleasing that I didn't bother to turn on my powered 12" unless I was watching movies. Funny thing was more bass from behind the panel then in front and if you stuck your head back there it was incredible. Better then any sub I've heard. Too bad nobody makes an enclosureless ESL subwoofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!