Single sheet TH challenge

Jim:

Where is a good place for the pocket handle with this new design? Do you have a name for this one yet?

Also what size hole for the ports in the flares did you use for your MCM 55-1740 tops? The pic you showed me of them on the other thread looks like you used pvc pipe. How long did you make the pipes? Also what electronics for the woofer and tweeters? Any other info you feel would help the build?

Thank you,
Mike

Jim:

Where is a good place for the pocket handle with this new design? Do you have a name for this one yet?

Also what size hole for the ports in the flares did you use for your MCM 55-1740 tops? The pic you showed me of them on the other thread looks like you used pvc pipe. How long did you make the pipes? Also what electronics for the woofer and tweeters? Any other info you feel would help the build?

Thank you,
Mike

Pocket handle should fit very well directly below the 8" board.

I've built many tops, f you are referring to this top with the beta 12a-2 that's made to fit the PE 15x22.5 grills, the hole is 2" diameter which tunes port/cabinet to 80hz. That one runs the 16ohm senenium 220 and the goldwood pb500 horn with a 2.5hkz crossover. (That's another single sheet design, 2 tops, 1 sheet.) The top with the 1.5"x1.5" pvc ports was a mcm 55-1740 in a 12x12x24 box with a 6.5" long horn and 'shallow' piezo array. (piezo angle at 35, not 45 degrees)

Attachments

• Picture 164a.JPG
    Picture 164a.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,949
Last edited:
re: Jbells mini tapped
I'll be building a couple myself to try. Excellent fusion of ideas in a small package.
I would suggest possibly an alternate version that plays lower but gives out at 125 or so.
Under standard 15 with horn boxes (everyone has them) a pair under each would be quite a little system for most bar bands. Plus electric percussion could use a lower tuning.
Has anyone played with compression in this thing yet? It seems compression has helped me keep mine from getting blown by not-so talented engineers. Remember, these things get very interesting when cranked.
Kudos in spades to Jbell and company

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamersusa View Post
re: Jbells mini tapped
I would suggest possibly an alternate version that plays lower but gives out at 125 or so.

Low, Loud, Small -- pick any 2.

so... scott, you about went crazy getting to your last design... are you saying you're up for round 2? If so, I'm game.

I think I'm happy enough with my last single sheet tops/sub that I won't be designing much for me for awhile, and just focus on building/installing.

I really like the small size of this TH, and the fact that it may be light enough for a single person to lift. I'm tempted to try building it once I got some free time, but that may not be for a while yet!
Can I use filter on this tapped horn. What shoUld I use for high pass and low pass so I don't burn the drivers.
I find that Hornresp can help here, it allows you to see the excursion at various power levels, so you can determine how much power you can use at what frequencies.

Even so, I would start off with maybe a 24db/oct HPF at around 30Hz, and go from there.

Any more updates on this sub and it's performance? Also Jim do you have pics of a sub finished with paint and all the parts(handles,wheels) ?

I think I am about healed up enough to get started.

Thanks Mike

sorry, am out of town on business... no time to play.

40HZ high pass REQUIRED (in my mind) at least 24db/oct.

Wheels???? really? It weighs 50lbs.... which is less than a lot of tops, and within 10lbs of the half sheet top I designed to go with it. Nope, no pics of painted with handles/grills -- will have to wait a week or two, till I get back in town.

50lbs for a sub --

Thanks, I think there are valid counter arguements to this and they come to mind, but I would appreciate it if what I consider Very basic specs are given right away.
If I'm evaluating 10 designs and have to fill in hornresp for every one... that's some time.
Basically in my application theres nothing more important than max SPL at a given freq. Amps are light cheap and powerful. EQ works for low frequencies. If an efficent design runs out of excursion @ 12 watts, it won't serve my purposes.

Is this the latest version of the sub?