Single sheet TH challenge - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2011, 02:45 PM   #431
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jayaraj View Post
After discussing the plan to go ahead with an experimental build of the SS-TH15, I was going through the whole thread and noticed a few thought experiments by jbell and Don to get the box to go a little lower (albeit sacrificing a little spl). Some of these are not simmed in HR. I am attaching these drawings below to find out because I would like to have an FR below 40Hz. If the build is successful, I plan on making 12 of these boxes as I already have 12 drivers in double 15 cabs.
You could probably recycle your existing bass reflex cabinets into tapped horns.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:44 PM   #432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
I know I have personally learned much since my original attempt at designing TH cabinets.

A 'cheap' suggestion for you samuel. Build a pair of the ss15 cabinets, and transplant a couple of your existing 3015lf's in them. Then do an A/B comparison between one of your dual ported cabinets vs a pair of the single driver loaded ss15's. Walk around in front, side, behind them while they are wound up to 'normal' levels... take an spl meter and do some simple tests outdoor and see what you see.

It only costs you two sheets of plywood to see if a tapped horn type cabinet will get you to your goal vs your current ported cabinets.
The "cheap" portion of this made me wonder how the Peavey Low Rider 15 would work in the SS15, it is a very good speaker and may be found for less $$ than the 3015LF.

Using the same TH model, it sims the same in the low end (Xmax is the same for both speakers), needs a bit more power to be as loud (but is rated for the extra power). It has a few different bumps in the upper end. It weighs more too, a disadvantage when hauling, but perhaps a slight thermal advantage as there is more mass to heat up.

I know from having heard the Low Riders in tapped horns they do perform quite well. The 4015LF still appears to be a slightly better choice, other than the cost.

One very nice feature of the Low Rider is a replaceable basket/cone/vc assembly, you can do a "recone" in a matter of minutes with just a wrench. The basket costs little more than most recone kits, which require a fair amount of skill to install, not to mention the time to remove and clean up a used basket.

The Hornresp script with the Peavey Low Rider 15 Specs is attached.
The Low Rider 18 works OK in the SS15 sim too, with a couple dB more level at 60 Hz, and a couple dB less at 100 Hz, but no improvement down low.
Attached Files
File Type: txt lowrider.txt (452 Bytes, 41 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 18th February 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:24 PM   #433
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

A dozen 3015LF are $104 each from martinsoundpro.com, the 4015 about $139, the Peavey is more$ from what I can see.
Old 23rd February 2011, 06:56 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

Any comments on post #430? Thanks.
Old 23rd February 2011, 07:12 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Default I'm watching this too...

If this gives a lower cutoff frequency, but still better output per cubic foot than the stadium horns, I'll be making lots of sawdust!

Regards, Ben
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:25 PM   #436
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jayaraj View Post
Any comments on post #430? Thanks.
samuel:

Of the 4 pics you linked to, only the last one is of interest to me. I haven't tried it yet (waiting for warmer weather) but it should play just a bit lower and at about the same spl. It's 1" shorter at 29" and you have to splice one panel out of 2 boards to get the entire thing out of a single sheet. An additional downside to that you need to cut braces out of scrap material, so it's not truly a 'singlesheet' design anymore. Don't even try the cube, while it's flatter to 40hz, it's overall spl is VERY low compared to the ss15.

I really haven't played around with how to maximize 40hz in this size cabinet, while abandoning the singlesheet concept.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:03 PM   #437
diyAudio Member

Default New challenge?

I'm guessing the next challenge will be:

Maximum bass out of a fixed volume enclosure, wood be damned! (e.g. 8 cubic feet)

Can't say how often I've read these threads. The interest in the SS15 plan is increasing. Over at speakerplans.com someone is building the SS15, but no results reported yet.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:19 PM   #438
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I did not get much (any) interest in a the competition suggestion for a one and a half sheet design that could go lower and/or louder.

Is anybody up for that?
A Mars Bar for the winner if Customs allow it through.
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:44 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

Default Mars Bar...

Is that a legendary deep-fried mars bar?
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:52 PM   #440
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It can't be hot if delivered by post (snail mail) and I haven't found a way to Email them yet.
Scotty "beam me up".

Hide this!Advertise here!