Single sheet TH challenge

Just download HornResp and you can copy the numbers as given in my examples for the drivers you like to see (halving Pi means +5dB)

The maximum safe excursion and SPL graphs are calculated for each driver independently. In these graphs you can find the corresponding power in Watts and excursion in millimetres. In reality the excursion will be less then predicted since HornResp isn't able to predict the compression factor for each driver.

Finally had a chance to do a bit of testing outside. I also tried to put to numbers some of the things I knew, but never documented. (like on side vs upright)

I also did a quick 'directivity test' where I drew a 10meter circle, started a sine wave and then walked around with a spl meter.

Pretty interesting stuff (at least to me....)

Attachments

• ss15 responsesidevsupright.JPG
    ss15 responsesidevsupright.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,229
Nice results Jbell. But before you make a conclusion between horizontal and vertical position, remember that you are measuring trough a tiny microphone membrane and nobody puts his ear to the ground (not meant as critic but as a reminder ;-).

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to do a bit of testing outside. I also tried to put to numbers some of the things I knew, but never documented. (like on side vs upright)

I also did a quick 'directivity test' where I drew a 10meter circle, started a sine wave and then walked around with a spl meter.

Pretty interesting stuff (at least to me....)

Distant surroundings can have significant impact on LF test results, as I found with my outdoor directivity tests.

What was the distance between the SS15 and the nearest building ?
What was the direction of the SS15 in relation to the nearest building?

Art

Ya I dont think I want to go that far to test one speaker, maybe I would measure the voltage across a resistor if I had to. Andy

Believe me, once you starting building speakers, a WT3 is probably one of the best, if not THE best tool you can have in your toolkit.

You can take the long way around and hook a resistor in series with the speaker, and then use voltage measurements across that to calculate impedance at varying frequencies. A WT3 will do the same for you in seconds. It's worth the $$.

Believe me, once you starting building speakers, a WT3 is probably one of the best
I believe you, But I am only making one speaker.
You can take the long way around and hook a resistor in series with the speaker, and then use voltage measurements across that to calculate impedance at varying frequencies.
Cant I do the same thing by measuring the AC current with a DVM?
Andy