Single sheet TH challenge - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2010, 10:02 PM   #221
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
The Reception Rooms: The Gardens of Houston, Texas

Here's a link to the ballroom's website, I was in the Grande Ballroom, my DJ Friend was in the Garden Room...

If you look at the pictures at the top of the page, the one showing a fountain, you can see the room I was in is on the right and the room he was in is on the left... There is about a 10' wide hallway in between the two rooms...
Old 15th November 2010, 11:53 PM   #222
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
When the dance floor was full (about 100-150 people) I walked to the other side of the dance floor to hear how everything sounded...

I feel the EV's Lost a little umph but, surprisingly I felt the subs gained some... I could feel the bass through all those people dancing... It may have been the song, it may have been me... but I was surprised...

I mean, these are 4 EV's running at approximately 1,200 watts a piece with 2" compression drivers on them!!!
makes perfect sense.... subs aren't the only type of speaker to suffer from power compression. Coil heats up, spl goes down. 98db efficiency tops, 104db efficiency subs, more power going into tops vs going into subs -- the tops suffer more power compression. It's that efficiency that gets you to 1am.

Well, that, and people absorb a lot of high end, and bass kinda goes right through...

Glad you are happy with them, that puts a smile on my face.
Old 16th November 2010, 06:23 AM   #223
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Wow, sounds very nice fhperez! .. Does the 12mm box feel rugged enough for alot af mobile use? I ask since i have allways been told that subs should be made of 18mm to be solid enough for alot af moving around.

Jbell:
I'm just looking through the cutsheet and everything, but there is something that confuses me. I think you can help me out.

On the cutsheet, there is no shown boards for bracing (from the back to the bottom and top, as i can see on your building pics), but there is a 2,5" board, witch according to the design sketch, should be used as a reflector in the back-upper corner.
Now, all i can think is, that instead of reflector, you have used the 2,5" for the bracing? - but then i look at your picture (post #54), with all the wood has been cut, and there is both the 2,5" board and another called "brace".

I hope you understand what i'm trying to ask you

Edit:
Now i see, that the 2,5" reflector board has just "moved" from the back-upper corner, to sit between the 11" and the 13,5" board.
Then i just need to know where you got that board for bracing from? I just can't figure it out

Last edited by Chaps; 16th November 2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Partly found the answer to my question
Old 16th November 2010, 06:54 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Chaps: I'm thinking of building these as well and just scratched by head about that 2.5" piece now that you mentioned it. The 2.5" piece in the cut sheet is 48" long, 21" of it will be the reflector, the rest can be used for bracing.
Old 16th November 2010, 07:28 AM   #225
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Linsley View Post
Chaps: I'm thinking of building these as well and just scratched by head about that 2.5" piece now that you mentioned it. The 2.5" piece in the cut sheet is 48" long, 21" of it will be the reflector, the rest can be used for bracing.
Ahh, well spotted! .. I knew i had overlooked something
Thanks!
Old 16th November 2010, 04:57 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Wow, sounds very nice fhperez! .. Does the 12mm box feel rugged enough for alot af mobile use? I ask since i have allways been told that subs should be made of 18mm to be solid enough for alot af moving around.
I don't know, it's not heavy, and since they are white, I have to take super extra care of them... They feel good enough to me to resist the loading and unloading...
Old 20th November 2010, 05:45 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

Jbell

Quick Question... If we were to make these to 22", 23", maybe even 24 inches internally, for me, who will be making maybe 2 or 4 and be happy with them for a 'long' time, then I could reach levels of 40hz with 1 box, or does with have to be at 21" for this design to work?

Having Said that, if I do build two more, tuned to 40hz, a wider version, could I use all 4 together, or would you advice against that?
Old 20th November 2010, 08:08 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
Jbell

Quick Question... If we were to make these to 22", 23", maybe even 24 inches internally, for me, who will be making maybe 2 or 4 and be happy with them for a 'long' time, then I could reach levels of 40hz with 1 box, or does with have to be at 21" for this design to work?

Having Said that, if I do build two more, tuned to 40hz, a wider version, could I use all 4 together, or would you advice against that?
Making them wider doesn't make them play lower. If you want lower, more cabinets accomplishes that. (to a point)

This means that for small gigs, bringing 2 or more is still advised even if you don't need the spl.

If you really want a lower design, and you don't care about fitting it out of a single sheet, I can mod it to make it play a little lower.. Keep in mind loud and low are the 2 players on the see-saw. As one goes up, the other goes down.

Here's the idea of what would be needed to make it actually go lower. (warning -- there is NO hornresp or other thought put into this, it's just a depiction of what would be needed to make the horn path longer, and therefore play lower)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg singlesheet7.JPG (99.1 KB, 888 views)
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:45 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Jim; How would the LAB15 work in this box? Andy
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:51 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pyros View Post
Jim; How would the LAB15 work in this box? Andy
not as well as the 3015lf....

Hide this!Advertise here!