Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2010, 05:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 15 in small enclosure with eq

Hi all,

I'm looking for a 15 with reasonable xmax to load into a fairly small enclosure of ~80L with EQ. I have a BASH 500W amp with EQ, and a standalone EQ unit as well.

It'll be used for LFE 80% of the time, perhaps music very occasionally. It seems tough to find a large driver that works well in a fairly small enclosure.

Looking for recommendations. Thanks guys.
Old 7th June 2010, 06:07 AM   #2
zora is offline zora  United States
diyAudio Member

AV15-X from AE Speakers. John is a great guy and will have a driver that will work for you.
Old 7th June 2010, 06:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, not a bad looking driver. It's 15db down at 20Hz which might need too much EQ. If I can get something into ~80L that's about 6-9db down at 20Hz that'd be ideal. Think this might be too much to hope for, for a large 15" driver?
Old 7th June 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Have you thought about using a Linkwitz Transform?

15dB is about the max recommended gain for a LT circuit though, and it will eat up most of your SPL headroom.
Old 7th June 2010, 09:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes I have built-in parametric EQ in the amp, as well as a standalone unit with sweepable EQ. I'd be using that to boost the low end in that fashion. Just need the right driver, that'll give me reasonable response in the smaller enclosure, and I can make it perfect with EQ. I'm hoping to find a driver that'll play -6 to -9db down at 20Hz in ~75L. wow 15db gain, that'd require a monstrous amp. I've already found a driver that's 9db down at 20Hz vented. I'd like to go sealed, and I haven't found a suitable driver for that yet..
Old 7th June 2010, 12:00 PM   #6
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello mike,

curious that your thread should show up at this time, as just yesterday I was searching for such a driver myself. I was looking for something that could do about 106dB in an 80l sealed box with LT, and get all the way down to 16-20Hz.

I was putting a few drivers through WinISD, but didn't really find any I liked. This is not a high priority task for me, since I'm already working on several other subwoofers right now, but I will be following this thread with interest, to see if anything else useful comes up. I hope you report back on any progress you make.
Old 7th June 2010, 01:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Looks like it might be a tough (if not impossible) goal you're after.

I've been playing around with sims of various 15" drivers and the best I can come up with for a 80l box is -11dB @ 20hz.
Old 7th June 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

your maximum SPL is governed by Xmax and Sd.

If you want a target 20Hz SPL then do the sums and find what combination of Sd and Xmax are required.
Then find what power is required by the driver to reach that Xmax in an 80L sealed box.
Old 7th June 2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Andreas is offline Andreas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I use a jbl 2226H in 100L enclosure and I have been using this for quite a while.
Try simulating this against your driver of choice. Fx 2226H vs some peerless XXLS give nearly the same output(1W) at 20Hz, whereas at 50Hz the 2226H wins, clearly the XXLS wins spl wise due to the longer XMAX. Thus if not considering XMAX, both drivers will play equally loud per watt at 20Hz. The 2226H needs EQ something like -15Db at 100Hz to become linear.

AE speakers have a special line suited for non-Eq'ed closed box systems. However it is not on their website, it is, however mentioned in several posts on their forum

/andreas
Old 7th June 2010, 05:23 PM   #10
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Hi all,

FYI: Looking for a 15” driver(EBP<=50) suitable for an 80 L closed box LT:ed to 20 Hz but not wasting to much power i.e. a max. total power loss of less than 4 times or 4:1 = 12 dB?

~106 dB at 20 Hz at x-max is achievable when inputting 640W/ref 4Ohm into a Aurasound NS15-992-4A driver in a 80 L closed box, thus for an 4:1 LT – amp connected: 160W would be available for the midband SPL . See the picture for the LT circuit.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aurasound_NS15-992-4A_80L_closedBox-LT.JPG (360.6 KB, 189 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!