The DubHorn:Wi's TC 5100NEO loaded 20hz horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Test system in woodshop
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

looking into the void (new gen. eminence 3015lf)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2 single driver quarter dubhorns

terminals - got some air noise through the speakons that needs to be fixed!

spl running a single driver

spl running both in parallel

Last edited:
Power / SPL

Assuming this amplifier is outputting no more than 45 Watts into each driver, moving up to 200 Watts should add 6 dB.
Connecting a second pair of these cabinets on a second 2 x 200 Watt amp should give us another 3 dB.

126 + 9 = 135?
and that is just from 4.

and then I'll put them on the floor, in a corner.

This is going to be fun!

Regards, Ben

Last edited:
mid bass design to take over from dub horns above 80 Hz

whe have not decided yet,were talking march 2013 :)
maybe zillertall or solden.
but maybe they want to go to france then.
i'll pm you.

should have the cabinets finished by then, as well as the midbass units - hopefully going to look a little like these (void paraflex):

Assuming this amplifier is outputting no more than 45 Watts into each driver, moving up to 200 Watts should add 6 dB.
Connecting a second pair of these cabinets on a second 2 x 200 Watt amp should give us another 3 dB.

126 + 9 = 135?
and that is just from 4.

and then I'll put them on the floor, in a corner.

This is going to be fun!

Regards, Ben
Very interesting stuff!
But I'm a bit confused, how low go these and what size are they?

m R g S r is correct

That's not 1m testing...What voltage was Applied to the drivers to get that?[/QUOTE]

That's right. Testing was not at 1m, nor at a specific voltage. No such claims were made.

When I do proper outdoor testing with sine waves at measured voltages at 1 and 10m I will be happy to share the results. As said above, this was no more than playing the mono summed bass from music (using the iPod) through a basic dj mixer and 45W rms amplifier. This was in a relatively small room and too close to walls, the ceiling and floor to be considered a room suitable for measurements.

If you want serious data, this is not it. I only wanted to have a little proof of concept, to see that my work had not been wasted so far. When the snow has melted and the ground below it is no longer frozen solid I shall do further proper testing.

Regards, Ben

Talk about back from the dead. This project was scrapped when TC revised the pricing on the 5100 and it became 1500$. Even at the 880$ "special price", no driver is worth that. I think they were 550$ originally at the start of this one.

I built 4 18" loaded 23hz vented cabs with FaitalPRO drives and they kick serious tail. So do my new line arrays at +/-1db from 300-12k with 2 bands of EQ.

Honestly, I like the visceral quality of the vented cabinets. Standing in front of the 4 new 18s and a pair of 21s is a truly engaging experience. When the concrete floor under the rig modulates, I'm doing something right. My FR, waterfalls, and impulse response turned out exceptional. I still need to encounter the right conditions for THD measurements. The vented Faital cabs are the first I am happy with and would put my name on for resale. I'm going to build 4 more, they are simply nasty. The kickbins are going to get a redesign next. The subs and tops are settled. I do need to execute a few small baffle revisions on the tops.

I am the closest I have ever been to the system I have been envisioning for almost a decade.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.