diy 20 Hz tapped horn plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'll exceed xmax above 30volts, but this gets you very close (within a db) of 125 in an under 300liter cabinet, in a corner from the lowly 55-2421.

Attachments

• 20hz55-2421.JPG
    20hz55-2421.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,193
Thanks for the horn resp parameters but I am a complete n00b at horn resp and when I select tapped horn from the driver arrangement selection I don't get the same screen as you do...i have attached an image...if anybody else has plans please feel free to share...

Attachments

• Horn Resp TH 1.jpg
    Horn Resp TH 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,017
Thankx...If I wanted to design my own tapped horn, what do I need to take into consideration? I was reading up on Tom Danley's white paper on tapped horns and found that the length of the horn needs to be a quarter wavelength of the low cut off frequency (so if I wanted to a 20Hz horn, then the length would have to be 169.5 inches) so what about the mouth and the throat of the horn? how do you calculate that in reference to the length of the horn?

Ok
Do you realize HOW big that is?
Also - since this is for HT and not PA. You get to cheat a bit. IE If it can/will go along 2 planes (wall and floor) model in 1 Pi. If you can stick the sub into a corner model in .5

Start with a driver.
Look for one that has an Fs about 30-35 Hz. Input it's parameters into HR and then go to Tools-Tapped Horn Wizard (Ctrl+H). Bottom left drop down choose response. Start playing with the sliders after that. This will be the easiest way for you to design one yourself. Countless hours later and wolla.

At the end
HR will give you the data you need. You then figure a folding scheme for said data.

The one I and one other person have built covers down to 20 hz and two of them will definitely meet your spl requirements at 20hz. It will do much more than that at higher frequencies. Its on the main collaborative tapped horn thread. It uses the very high quality, yet low price, eminence lab12 driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.