Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach

There is no way to make the room go away. The recording of Diana Krall is always being played back in your room. But you can make the room better. 90% of the room photos at DIYaudio look like they must sound atrocious due to many hard surfaces and little absorption. ...
Don't forget your brain will adapt to the acoustical characteristics of the room.

Have you ever heard a Double Bass Array? Would there be no bass build up with that?

Yea, I would say that's likely. It would act just like a free field - outdoors. I have not heard one, but the concept is solid and probably will do what they say - no modes. The question is: Is that what you want to do? Modes are not bad things if they are not high Q. Broaden them with more overlap and the Schroeder frequency falls. The modes then still carry some energy and add to a longer held signal for a better bass perception. Smooth it all out and I'd say that's the best that you can do. In my room there is only a single mode that is evident at about 30 Hz. - the room length mode. It may even be pumping the doors which is why it's a higher Q.

Still, I want my bass to sound like a larger room, with full body. Bass outdoors, for instance, is not that great, or in an anechoic chamber. It needs a room to build up to be more audible and effortless.

I still like listening outside / no room. But, I built a system for outside. It wouldn’t fit in any anechoic chamber I know of but I would like to try it. :)

Barry.

Barry.

Can you repost your FR plot? It’s very hard to interpret as is because it lacks resolution. Please change your vertical range to 50-100dB and change your horizontal range to 20-200Hz. Remove all smoothing at first to examine the “warts” in the frequency response curve.

How many subs do you have? What are your main speakers? Do you have any low frequency damping/room treatments in your room? What is your wall construction? Concrete or wood? A picture would be useful.
Hi, Anand,

Which plot do you need? FR of my stereo speakers? Or the one with three subs? I can mail you REW files where you can see more details.

I have some damping but sadly it's not very effective. Side walls are coveres with 20 cm of glasswool and front wall has some rockwool absorbers (8" thick). Walls are solid (brick, concrete, insulation). None of this (and neither different speaker/seating locations) didn't improve my stereo response. This is why I'd like to try "the Geddes method". I have 4 subs now. A picture would not show much because I put a lot of effort to hide all this stuff. ;)

You could have awful sound despite a great FR - with distortions, troublesome reflections, dunno what.
But as far as your FR goes, I'd send it to the Guiness Book of World Records. It is as perfect as they come.
B.
That is correct. And you can get a decent sound with not that great FR. I'll be ready to send my FR to whomever who wants when it'll put a smile on my face. :)

This is a real problem in LF perception. I have a lot of experience with structure born sound and your butt is a structure. Any vibrations that you can feel are adding to the perception (this can be both + and -.) Make sure that you are not sitting in a piece of furniture that itself has resonances. That can be a huge problem. I once rebuilt a sofa in a sound room just to get rid of its awful resonances.
Hm, to be honest, I never really though this could be an issue. My seats are old cinema seats with metal construction placed on a carpet floor. Thanks for the tip. It sure is worth checking out.
What do you mean by awful resonances? Were they visible on a graph (and then gone when sofa was rebuild) or did you feel them while sitting and listening?

Last edited:
Still, I want my bass to sound like a larger room, with full body. Bass outdoors, for instance, is not that great, or in an anechoic chamber. It needs a room to build up to be more audible and effortless.

au contraire :)

Bass outdoors is as good as it gets imo..... the gold standard.....
…..when there is sufficient clean SPL; and no buildings, walls, etc, to build up reverb

Dont forget to consider mso :)

Tend to agree on bass outdoors as being the gold standard. Just need enough of them big subs :)
Thank you, nice setup you got there. ;)

I've heard about MSO before. Just help me clarify some basics: you measure each sub individually and then import the measurements into the MSO? The program then provide optimal settings for each sub? What settings are we talking about?

What if one doesn't have any external DSP? Some subs have all kinds of settings (hi/lo pas filter; hi/lo slope, 8 band PEQ ...). I wonder if this could replace an external DSP processor?

Thank you, the pics in that thread are outdated though. Here are more recent ones.

Indeed you measure each sub (and main) at least the same amount of positions as dsp channels. Than you import those measurements, MSO calculates the resulting combined response at each position. You than add dsp filters and start optimizing. Finally you export those dsp filter settings (and at least check the result once).

You do need an external dsp though since manually setting low pass filters and gains using knobs is not accurate enough.

Great looking living room! ;)

What kind of parameters coming from the MSO are we talking about and what DSP are you using?

Many subs now have digital settings so I don't see a problem setting them to exact values.

Here's one example.

Attachments

• velodyne_settings.jpg
    velodyne_settings.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Thx

MSO is just a program than can "try out" dsp settings. So every parameter that is available in a dsp: delay, gain, xover slopes (all kinds), all pass filters, parametric EQ filters, shelving filters, polarity reversal, notches. So all filters that exist in IIR dsp's. You're free to add filters as you see fit.

That Velodyne also had music/HT setting and contour filter. You can't simulate those of course as those are unknown EQ filters. Xover slope could be LR24 but maybe also some other slope. But you're welcome to try it out :).

OK, so MSO is proposing filters which you can insert in a DSP? Am I getting this correctly?
I don't see any DSP unit at your pics...

Contour is for boosting or cutting the signal in reponse to specific types of source material. It's like changing the volume at only one bass frequency. It can be turned off.

Music/theater setting is not really a part of signal processing. It's for controlling servo gain.

Which plot do you need? FR of my stereo speakers? Or the one with three subs? I can mail you REW files where you can see more details.

Beige,

I'll send you a pm with my email and I can take a look at your REW files. Specifically I am looking for measurements between 20-300Hz of:

1. Main loudspeakers only
2. Main loudspeakers + the subs

And a measurement of the mains only > 300Hz to see how the levels of the mains integrate with overall levels of all subs together.

I never used MSO so I can offer no opinion on that. I do know that besides Geddes, Toole and others, the Minidsp website has a nice summary on multi sub optimization:

Tuning multiple subs

Best,
Anand.

Hm, to be honest, I never really though this could be an issue. My seats are old cinema seats with metal construction placed on a carpet floor. Thanks for the tip. It sure is worth checking out.
What do you mean by awful resonances? Were they visible on a graph (and then gone when sofa was rebuild) or did you feel them while sitting and listening?

There were a lot of resonances in the LF band and sitting on the sofa you felt them all - a very resonant response. These will not appear in a FR plot because they don't radiate sound into the room. But when you sit on a resonant structure the vibrations shake your body and excite the ear mechanically. You sense this as if you were actually hearing the resonance, but it is not in the air (so to speak), but in the mechanical coupling to your body. I have seen this happen many times before, most notably in cars. Studies have shown that much of the noise that you perceive in a car is actually structure borne, not airborne.

au contraire :)

Bass outdoors is as good as it gets imo..... the gold standard.....
…..when there is sufficient clean SPL; and no buildings, walls, etc, to build up reverb

I don't see it that way. Outside you have to push up the bass level quite a bit to get it to sound full. That's because of the lack of reverberation, which the room adds. But small rooms have modal issues which you have to deal with.

There were a lot of resonances in the LF band and sitting on the sofa you felt them all - a very resonant response. These will not appear in a FR plot because they don't radiate sound into the room. But when you sit on a resonant structure the vibrations shake your body and excite the ear mechanically. You sense this as if you were actually hearing the resonance, but it is not in the air (so to speak), but in the mechanical coupling to your body. I have seen this happen many times before, most notably in cars. Studies have shown that much of the noise that you perceive in a car is actually structure borne, not airborne.
Interesting. What can be done here? Replace the whole thing or what did you do when rebuilding the sofa? I assume covering the metal parts with some sort of foam would help much?

Sometimes braces work well, sometimes reinforcing the joints with a damped glue like Liquid Nails for Subfloors. It's hard to describe all the common means of noise control because it is a huge subject, but there is always something that can be done.

I don't remember the specifics of the sofa, but I do remember that before and after was quite significant.

I won the Henry Ford Technological Achievement Award many years ago for my work in understanding how people perceive noise in cars. A large amount of that work was on the huge impact that structure borne noise has. When you drive a car with engine imbalance (as virtually all engines are not naturally balanced, some much worse than others) you perceive this and almost without exception people sense that they are hearing this. But that is not the case - you feel it (and hear it) but you think that you are only hearing it - humans really can't tell the difference because they both excite the cochlear hair cells, just in different ways. If there is a structure that is vibrating just place your hand on it and it will sound louder - but it's not actually - you just gave it another path into your senses.