Hornresp

For a clearer explanation please use the input parameters below.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the additional information. I found an error in the code that calculates the drive voltage across each tapped horn in a multiple-speaker array. The bug will be fixed in the next release. The problem applies to tapped horns only.

Thanks for making me aware of this issue. Apologies for any confusion that the error may have caused :).

Kind regards,

David

littlemike,
Instead of applying the drive voltage to the user specified impedance combination in the Multiple Speakers module, the full voltage was applied to each individual speaker cabinet as defined in the input panel. This is the same as an all parallel Multiple Speaker configuration, so unless you had selected all parallel in the Multiple Speaker module the SPL and Diaphragm Displacement results were wrong.

littlemike,
Instead of applying the drive voltage to the user specified impedance combination in the Multiple Speakers module, the full voltage was applied to each individual speaker cabinet as defined in the input panel. This is the same as an all parallel Multiple Speaker configuration, so unless you had selected all parallel in the Multiple Speaker module the SPL and Diaphragm Displacement results were wrong.

That's what I thought was going on, though I had just noticed it a night ago and had not bothered to investigate it that much. I'm usually driving Hornresp far too late at night, so perhaps I am not a clear-headed as I should be...

Thanks for the explanation, it clarifies what I was seeing (couldn't figure out why SPLs went up so much and excursion increased).

I have a question about driver parameters. I have been working off a couple of base models to get a handle on how hornresp works.

Several times now I have noticed that driver parameters have changed. I am pretty much working with tapped horns right now and the tapped horn wizard.

BL, CMS, RMS and MMD all appear to have changed on my current model. Is there something I am doing along the way that is triggering this?

Several times now I have noticed that driver parameters have changed. I am pretty much working with tapped horns right now and the tapped horn wizard. BL, CMS, RMS and MMD all appear to have changed on my current model. Is there something I am doing along the way that is triggering this?

Hi fredk1,

In earlier versions of Hornresp the driver parameter values would automatically round to one decimal place when the Tapped Horn Wizard was opened, even if the driver sliders were not moved. This problem was fixed some time ago.

Also in early versions, the driver parameter values would change to their equivalent composite values when multiple drivers were specified. This no longer occurs.

Otherwise, the driver parameter values should not change of their own accord.

Are you using Hornresp Version 25.00?

Kind regards,

David

I'm using Hornresp V22.0, when I change to V25.0, will my past saved files still run ok?

Hi Michael,

Hornresp will always automatically update the Hornresp.dat data file produced by an earlier version of the program.

In the past, some users experienced data corruption problems when they tried to use a updated data file back with an earlier version of the program that they had retained as a "backup". While this practice is no longer possible, I still strongly recommend that when a new version of Hornresp is downloaded, any earlier versions of the program are deleted.

Kind regards,

David

Running Hornresp in Ubuntu/Linux:

Your comment about decimal placement issues got me thinking. I was running the 64-bit version of Hornresp. I searched and found out that the 32-bit version is the best supported version and some things don't work as well in 64-bit. Whether the bits could have something to do with decimal placement issues, I don't know.

I down/re-graded to 32-bit all the same and now Hornresp is running fine. I entered parameters of a known driver - no problem. I ran a simulation of a known enclosure - no problem.

Woohoo!

Hornresp Version 26.00

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 26.00 has just been released. Changes are as follows:

1. The Tapped Horn Wizard tool (renamed Loudspeaker Wizard) can now be used with direct radiators - including bass-reflex systems, conical single-segment horns, multiple-segment horns, compound horns - with a conical horn 2, tapped horns and offset driver horns.

With the exception of conical single-segment horns, the horn segment flare type can be changed when the tool is in use by double-clicking the left-hand-side label located above the relevant length slider.

The new tool is not applicable to non-conical single-segment horns because the multiple element / isophase wavefront model used with these horn types prevents results from being updated quickly enough for the scroll bar slider controls to operate correctly.

2. Efficiency values are now exported as part of the chart data. The attached Excel screenprint shows efficiency plotted for the default record system with resonances masked.

3. The fatal run-time error reported by ‘bubblersound’ and the tapped horn multiple speakers SPL problem identified by ‘NEO Dan’ have been fixed.

As always, could you please let me know if you find any bugs. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Efficiency.png
    Efficiency.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 173