Hornresp

Hi IslandPink,

Has anyone asked about modelling slot-loaded OB via Hornresp ?

Only you :).

A couple of us in our local UK group have attempted to model something on Hornresp with dismal results ! - any ideas ?

I can't see how it could be satisfactorily modelled in Hornresp.

AkAbak perhaps?

Kind regards,

David

Hi just a guy,

So double clicking the Le label would actually change the value of Bl in the Bl field.

No way is that going to happen :).

Not only would it be satisfactory, it would be what I always wanted but didn't dare to ask because I thought it would be too much.

It will require a lot of work yes, but I can see the benefit, and am prepared to give it a go. I am hoping that it can be applied everywhere, including in the Loudspeaker Wizard.

(assuming you are using the resize wizard as a framework to make this happen)

The Resize Wizard will not be used as a framework.

The relevant part is in the second half of this post, velocity, pressure and group delay are all off by a factor equal to the resizing multiplier.

Velocity, pressure, group delay, etc, will all be correct.

And in the meantime I can check to see if there's anything other than velocity, pressure and group delay affected.

Thanks, but there is no need for you to do that. As indicated above, the Resize Wizard will not be involved.

Kind regards,

David

When I go back and forth between two records some settings are cleared and others are changed.

Hi Jack,

Just to clarify - when you say that some settings are cleared and others are changed, is that for the same filter type? For example, are some of the equaliser settings cleared and others changed?

Do you get the attached confirmation message after pressing the F9 key?

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 108
Hi Jack,

Just to clarify - when you say that some settings are cleared and others are changed, is that for the same filter type? For example, are some of the equalizer settings cleared and others changed?

Do you get the attached confirmation message after pressing the F9 key?

Kind regards,

David

Yes, I get the confirmation message.

To clarify: my full set of equalizer settings is 2 pole LPF, 4 pole HPF, a PEQ and a low shelf using 5 of the 6 bands. After going to the 2nd record and coming back, I would find the HPF and LPF bands "off" and 2 PEQs enabled. One of those PEQs had been the shelf filter. The other had been used as a PEQ but its frequency and Q had changed.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Yes, I get the confirmation message.

That's a pity - I was hoping that your F9 key might be faulty, but it seems not, if you are getting the confirmation message :).

To clarify: my full set of equalizer settings is 2 pole LPF, 4 pole HPF, a PEQ and a low shelf using 5 of the 6 bands. After going to the 2nd record and coming back, I would find the HPF and LPF bands "off" and 2 PEQs enabled. One of those PEQs had been the shelf filter. The other had been used as a PEQ but its frequency and Q had changed.

Thanks for the clarification. I set up the same filters as you, pressed F9, moved to a different record and then returned to the original record. All the filter settings were preserved exactly as they had been entered. I then closed and re-opened Hornresp, and checked that the settings were still correct.

There is something really crazy going on here - why only you? It just doesn't make any sense.

I assume that you are definitely using Product Number 4100-170621?

Kind regards,

David

Hi Jack,

That's a pity - I was hoping that your F9 key might be faulty, but it seems not, if you are getting the confirmation message :).

Thanks for the clarification. I set up the same filters as you, pressed F9, moved to a different record and then returned to the original record. All the filter settings were preserved exactly as they had been entered. I then closed and re-opened Hornresp, and checked that the settings were still correct.

There is something really crazy going on here - why only you? It just doesn't make any sense.

I assume that you are definitely using Product Number 4100-170621?

Kind regards,

David

and just to clarify a little more:
when I moved to the 2nd record, I pressed calculate, configured filters for it, turned its filters on in the input params, calculated again and only then moved back to the first record.

what i wanted to do was compare power, excursion and driver power and for ported or offset horn records, particle velocity after equalization to the same curve. As I reported, I was actually able to do this for a while but with more edits to the records, I lost this ability.

I tried this on 2 diff laptops, thus different keyboards and also diff OSs. and I tried it on both internal and external drives, but it was the same external drive on the 2nd computer.

Something crazy is definitely going on but as I learned long ago (HR predates my engineering degree by only 1 year) the really challenging career make or break debug problems are those that make you question your belief in cause and effect, even if only (half) in jest. When you get to that point, then you really begin to think.

Why only me is a good question. I don't think there is anything special about me - at least not with regards to this problem. It might be that I use them more frequently than others but that shouldn't matter given a problem as consistent as this.

Could I be doing something wrong? I can't imagine what; pressing F9 should be sufficient to guarantee an effective save.

I notice that you write the .dat file only on exit from HR. When you write, do you write back just the records that have been changed or do you have the entire file in memory? Even with just two records in memory, there might be a vulnerability to subtle memory integrity issues - pattern sensitivity, adjacent cell disturbance. Caching is involved in almost every use of memory and that brings in another set of potential problems if the underlying CPU had sublte bugs in its cache controller.

OTOH, my laptop doesn't crash often, if at all, as you would think it would if these kinds of problems existed and other programs work as expected. Also I had the problem on two different computers.

Maybe what we need to do is put trace statements into the code and then have me run it. If it only happens here, then the data that enables it to be debugged can only be captured here. If nothing else, that might manifest what, if anything I'm doing wrong.

For this problem, it would be more convenient if, when filters had been enabled in the input parameters screen, if they could still be adjusted after calculation. That would make it more convenient to re-adjust them when they had been changed. Even if the filters settings were preserved as perfectly for me as they apparently are for others, then I can still imagine there would be occasions when I would want to be able to change settings without first going back to input params and re-calculating. I can't imagine any situation where having the able to adjust them from tools/filter wizard would hurt. If you didn't want to adjust them you wouldn't have to.

Jack

Hi Jack,

and just to clarify a little more:
when I moved to the 2nd record, I pressed calculate, configured filters for it, turned its filters on in the input params, calculated again and only then moved back to the first record.

I have now tried that also - everything worked fine.

Could I be doing something wrong?

Are you definitely using Product Number 4100-170621? The number can be checked from the Help > About Hornresp menu.

I notice that you write the .dat file only on exit from HR. When you write, do you write back just the records that have been changed or do you have the entire file in memory?

The Hornresp.dat file is opened when Hornresp starts, and is closed when Hornresp shuts down. Records are written to the file as they are changed, using the standard Visual Basic file commands. I am not sure how much of the file is stored in memory at any given time.

Maybe what we need to do is put trace statements into the code and then have me run it. If it only happens here, then the data that enables it to be debugged can only be captured here.

As a last resort perhaps :).

it would be more convenient if, when filters had been enabled in the input parameters screen, if they could still be adjusted after calculation.

I looked at doing that originally, but ran into all sorts of problems. I will have another try - I agree that it would be better.

I now have four major enhancements to work on...

Kind regards,

David

Hi Jack

Are you definitely using Product Number 4100-170621? The number can be checked from the Help > About Hornresp menu.

I looked at doing that originally, but ran into all sorts of problems. I will have another try - I agree that it would be better.

I now have four major enhancements to work on...

Kind regards,

David

Sorry I got carried away and forgot to answer your question. Yes, I am using that version.

Jack

re'
The Hornresp.dat file is opened when Hornresp starts, and is closed when Hornresp shuts down. Records are written to the file as they are changed, using the standard Visual Basic file commands.

When I run HR with a file explorer window open on the data directory, I only see a write when HR closes. Only at that point does the time/date of the hornresp.dat file update, indicating that the file has just been written.

Maybe this will help. I went through the filter tuning configuring process and then exported the HR record into 4_calculated.txt. Then i clicked prev and immediately clicked next to go back and forth between records without actually doing anything to the 2nd record except showing its input params screen momentarily. When I calculated, the filters settings were changed. I exported the changed record into clickPrev.txt. Both files are attached.

Attachments

• 5_clickPrev.txt
    938 bytes · Views: 45
  • 4_calculated.txt
    938 bytes · Views: 37
Here is the previous record - the one whose input params screen appears momentarily when prev and then next are clicked in quick succession.

Compare the filter settings of these two records. It appears that when I go back to the previous record, I pick up some of its filter settings.

From prevRcd:
FILTER
77 0.42 -9.0 -11 20 1.21 3.0 -11 0 0.01 0.0 -1
0 0.01 0.0 -1 0 0.01 0.0 -1 0 0.01 0.0 -1
1 1 0 0

From ClickPrev:
FILTER
77 0.42 -9.0 -11 20 1.21 3.0 -11 0 0.01 0.0 -1
1 1 0 0

from Calculated
FILTER
60 0.71 0.0 -14 47 1.45 -6.0 -11 27 1.29 6.2 -12
1 1 0 0

ClickPrev should be same as Calculated but matches PrevRcd instead

Jack

Attachments

• prevRcd.txt
    964 bytes · Views: 35
Hi Jack,

Yes, I am using that version.

Thanks for the confirmation - that eliminates another possible cause :).

When I run HR with a file explorer window open on the data directory, I only see a write when HR closes. Only at that point does the time/date of the hornresp.dat file update, indicating that the file has just been written.

Try saving a filter change using F9, then open Hornresp.dat using Notepad and check the contents of the file - the record will have changed. It seems that the time/date stamp only changes when the file is opened and closed, not each time that an update is made to an open file.

Maybe this will help. I went through the filter tuning configuring process and then exported the HR record into 4_calculated.txt. Then i clicked prev and immediately clicked next to go back and forth between records without actually doing anything to the 2nd record except showing its input params screen momentarily. When I calculated, the filters settings were changed. I exported the changed record into clickPrev.txt. Both files are attached.

Thanks for conducting the above tests. I have now done the same thing, using your exported records as a starting point. Unfortunately the outcome is the same as before. The filter settings of the original record did not change - everything worked perfectly. There has to be a logical reason for what is occurring - for my own peace of mind I would really like to understand what is going on here - surely it can't be magic :).

Incidentally - not that it is much consolation, but I am now pretty confident that the operation of the Filter Wizard can be made a little more "user friendly", and more in line with the functionality you are seeking.

Now, if we can only stop the filter settings from changing...

Kind regards,

David

@ nc535,

I don't know whether you have an SSD drive in your computer or not..? I have seen two different SSD drives behave similar to what you are describing due to buggy or incorrect drivers.

On the first occasion the SSD drive had been swapped out for another after the original failed. That drive was from the same manufacturer but was a newer, revised unit. When Windows loaded after swapping in the new SSD, it loaded a slightly different driver (from the same manufacturer) than it had assigned for the original SSD. Everything worked pretty well until an SQL database was opened, then it intermittently failed on writes to that database and eventually corrupted it. The fix was a simple removal of the assigned driver, then choosing the original (and proper) driver manually.

The second occasion this sort of thing happened was after a new SSD install. Windows loaded a generic driver that made the new SSD act like it was some sort of file caching device. Loading the proper driver manually fixed that one too.

If your computer has an SSD drive I suggest looking into a possible driver issue. Hope this helps.

@ nc535,

I don't know whether you have an SSD drive in your computer or not..? I have seen two different SSD drives behave similar to what you are describing due to buggy or incorrect drivers.

On the first occasion the SSD drive had been swapped out for another after the original failed. That drive was from the same manufacturer but was a newer, revised unit. When Windows loaded after swapping in the new SSD, it loaded a slightly different driver (from the same manufacturer) than it had assigned for the original SSD. Everything worked pretty well until an SQL database was opened, then it intermittently failed on writes to that database and eventually corrupted it. The fix was a simple removal of the assigned driver, then choosing the original (and proper) driver manually.

The second occasion this sort of thing happened was after a new SSD install. Windows loaded a generic driver that made the new SSD act like it was some sort of file caching device. Loading the proper driver manually fixed that one too.

If your computer has an SSD drive I suggest looking into a possible driver issue. Hope this helps.

thanks

I agree, it does sound like a caching problem. However, while I do have an SSD drive, Windows tells me I have the best driver for it and the problem also occurs using an external rotating drive.

I will look on Western Digital site anyway for a driver ...