Hornresp

Hi Brian,

If you don't get the new editing method to work it will still be easier to "draw" precisely in another program and export to the new file format.

Things are looking promising at this stage. Unless I run into any last-minute problems, I hope to be able to release an update by the end of the week.

However, the freehand drawing method was capable of producing some rather beautiful abstract wave front patterns ;)

:).

When was the last time you used the program to design something for yourself?

More than forty years ago - Hornresp was pretty basic back then :).

Kind regards,

David

N.B.

Save your energy, there is absolutely no chance of it happening :).

For straight horn design, 3-segments is all that is needed to design a good one.
If fact you can do it in one if the boundaries are defined by a set of splines.

For a folded horn, the folds are more important than the segments in between.
In the case of a base horn, primary concern should how in loads into the room.

Segments for me would be the wrong issue to pursue here.

WHG

it will still be easier to "draw" precisely in another program and export to the new file format.

Just to clarify - it is already possible to precisely draw walls even at the highest resolution by using the arrow keys rather than the mouse. Also, straight walls can be drawn between two points using the Shift key and boxes can be drawn using the Ctrl key. See the Wavefront Simulator section in the Help file for further details.

Hornresp Update 4040-170408

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

The resolution of custom designs in the Wavefront Simulator tool can now be changed without losing existing data. The resolution of imported designs can now also be changed, and also without losing data. The window size is automatically re-scaled when the resolution is changed. Attachments 1 and 2 refer.

Development of the new feature was prompted by Post #7196.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 114
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
You guys realize David is doing this pro bono (aka FREE), right? What he has provided is far more than anyone could have asked for in a PAID version of similar software!

As an engineer who frequently get asked why things are so expensive, we should all be thanking David for freely providing this software. Borrowing from standardized testing: Hornresp is to acoustics simulation like LTspice is electronics simulation :)

Edit: Sorry, most of us are appreciative of David's efforts, and he obviously knows it is impossible to quantify/qualify the effort spent to not only create but improve (based on end user input) the software, but at some point you just have to listen for yourself!

Last edited:
On that basis, only the first of the dual chamber versions is modelled in Hornresp.

1. The second dual chamber version can be modelled in Hornresp as either a back-loaded horn (Attachments 1, 2 and 3 refer) or as a modified ABC system with port tube 1 effectively removed by setting Ap1 = 0.10 and Lp1 = 0.10 (Attachments 4 and 5 refer). As shown in Attachments 3 and 5, the results for the two models are essentially the same.

2. The third dual chamber version can be modelled in Hornresp as a front-loaded horn with a closed rear chamber (Attachments 6 and 7 refer).

3. The fourth dual chamber version can be modelled in Hornresp as a front-loaded horn with a vented rear chamber (Attachments 8 and 9 refer).

Attachments

• Attach_5.png
    Attach_5.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Attach_6.png
    Attach_6.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Attach_7.png
    Attach_7.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Attach_8.png
    Attach_8.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Attach_9.png
    Attach_9.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 62
You guys realize David is doing this pro bono (aka FREE), right? What he has provided is far more than anyone could have asked for in a PAID version of similar software!

As an engineer who frequently get asked why things are so expensive, we should all be thanking David for freely providing this software. Borrowing from standardized testing: Hornresp is to acoustics simulation like LTspice is electronics simulation :)

Edit: Sorry, most of us are appreciative of David's efforts, and he obviously knows it is impossible to quantify/qualify the effort spent to not only create but improve (based on end user input) the software, but at some point you just have to listen for yourself!

I think you said that perfectly Brian.

Without Hornresp many people who are in the business of working in audio design wouldn't be able to get a lot of work done.

Hats off to Master McBean.

Thanks David. The new ripple tank options are most appreciated.

YES. Every one of us (except maybe rank ingrates) appreciates his hard work, dedication and helpfulness.

There are a few things I too would like added/ improved. but I am NOT going to crib and whine and nag until I get them. Respect and gratitude, always, and hope he keeps doing his thing.