Hornresp - Page 345 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2013, 08:57 AM   #3441
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djim View Post
One question, is it possible to expand the tool with magnet dimensions so it can compensate for the volume, taken by the driver, at S4?
Hi Djim,

I looked into this when I first started working on the tool. Unfortunately it is not really a practical proposition because of the many different ways that the driver chassis and magnet assembly can be constructed. Often the chassis is a complex casting having a significant volume of its own, and the magnet assembly is not just a simple cylindrical shape.

Kind regards,

David
Old 30th April 2013, 09:23 AM   #3442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
I looked into this when I first started working on the tool. Unfortunately it is not really a practical proposition because of the many different ways that the driver chassis and magnet assembly can be constructed. Often the chassis is a complex casting having a significant volume of its own, and the magnet assembly is not just a simple cylindrical shape.
Exactly, there are too many drivers with heat sinks in complex shapes, its hard to judge the Volumen by giving a geometry.. Most manufactureres donīt quote the volume of the driver, in some cases of frontloaded horns with very small backchambers, this can lead to a lot of trying around with prototypes in the woodwork. We used to put the magnet in a plastik sack and dipp it in a full bucket of water, gathering the "lost" water in a pan benath - then measuring the amount of water with a kitchen tool I donīt know the english espression for - some measurement cup Together with the geometrie of the cone, this was close enough.

David, would it be possible to teach hornresp to do that or at least make some coffee?

Just kidding, of course (not the waterbucket part, we really did that)

Some drivers do have invers dust-caps (RCF L12P530 e.g.), would it be possible to extend the driver-front-volume tool to do that (H3>H2) ?

Some Drivers also have different "flare rates", the area doesnīt increase parabolic (hm, is it parabolic, not sure) - slicing the cone in half its not a straight line but curved, Iīd have to look up the exact english terms... But I guess itīs close enough now, most of the time one canīt find out the real expansion rate after all.....

Thanks for all the effort you put in this over all these years!!

Last edited by Sabbelbacke; 30th April 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 30th April 2013, 09:32 AM   #3443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
I was interested in your opinion.
Hi Martin,

When it comes to things like this, your guess is as good as mine :-).

For a tapped horn, I think I would probably just include a suitably-sized throat chamber to address the 'cone compensation' issue at the throat end, and probably just ignore the fact that the driver intrudes into the acoustic path at the mouth end.

Kind regards,

David
Old 30th April 2013, 12:26 PM   #3444
diyAudio Member

Hi Sabbelbacke,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbelbacke View Post
Some drivers do have invers dust-caps (RCF L12P530 e.g.), would it be possible to extend the driver-front-volume tool to do that (H3>H2) ?
I will have a look :-).

Quote:
Some Drivers also have different "flare rates", the area doesnīt increase parabolic (hm, is it parabolic, not sure) - slicing the cone in half its not a straight line but curved, Iīd have to look up the exact english terms... But I guess itīs close enough now, most of the time one canīt find out the real expansion rate after all.....
I figured that a conical diaphragm would be a reasonable compromise. As you point out, determining the precise profile can be quite difficult. Also, the diaphragm surface itself is sometimes ribbed or corrugated, which further complicates matters.

Quote:
Thanks for all the effort you put in this over all these years!!
You're welcome. And thanks to everyone else who has had a kind word to say about the new tool :-).

Kind regards,

David
Old 1st May 2013, 05:59 AM   #3445
diyAudio Member

Default Hornresp Update 3210-130501

Hi Everyone,

The Driver Front Volume tool now supports concave dust caps. My thanks to Sabbelbacke for suggesting this refinement.

Kind regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: png Concave.png (35.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 1st May 2013, 09:22 AM   #3446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
At first I did not understand the dimension designations.
Hi Mark,

D1, D2 and D3 were intended to represent diameter values, with H1, H2 and H3 representing height values.

Perhaps H1, H2 and H3 would be better off as D4, D5 and D6, signifying depth or distance, rather than height.

Kind regards,

David
Old 1st May 2013, 10:16 AM   #3447
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Hi David.

I'd leave it be as you started it. It only took me a minute of working with the wizard to come to and understanding of what did what. I must confess that other areas of Hornresp took me much longer!
Old 1st May 2013, 10:16 AM   #3448
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Could the units of measurement be added to the input screens?
cm, or mm, or kg, or gm, or l (litre), cc (cm^3), or .....
Old 1st May 2013, 11:58 AM   #3449
diyAudio Member

Thank you, David, for the concave Dustcap
Old 2nd May 2013, 06:56 AM   #3450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
I'd leave it be as you started it.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

I like your comment - it means that I don't have to do anything :-).

Kind regards,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!