Hornresp - Page 287 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 06:38 AM   #2861
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbrek View Post
If I set Ang to 0.5, and run "System design with driver", setting the frequency limits to 40Hz and 200Hz, I end up with a total volume of 532 litres. Perhaps you forgot to set the lower frequency to 40Hz? Because using the default values gives you a 2700 litres box.
I get the same 532 litres when I use System Design > With Driver and 40Hz - 200Hz, but if I try it with 20Hz - 50Hz for sub only use I get 4,339 litres.

I also notice it changes it from TH to Nd (whatever that may be)

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 3rd October 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:27 AM   #2862
Kolbrek is offline Kolbrek  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
I get the same 532 litres when I use System Design > With Driver and 40Hz - 200Hz, but if I try it with 20Hz - 50Hz for sub only use I get 4,339 litres.

I also notice it changes it from TH to Nd (whatever that may be)
If you want a horn to go to 20Hz, you just have to accept that it either will be huge, or will have resonances. That's just how the physics works... But by experimenting with areas and lengths, you can reduce the size somewhat. Unless you have lots of space and/or can build the horn into the house, a 20Hz full-size horn subwoofer is just a dream... Remember that for loudspeakers you can't get more than 2 out of 3 of
* high efficiency
* good low frequency extension
* small size

Nd means number of drivers. Double-click in the Nd box to change the driver configuration. (or use Tools -> Driver Arrangement).

-Bjørn
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:28 AM   #2863
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

20-50Hz in 326.5 liters
Attached Files
File Type: txt Ss5100.txt (457 Bytes, 12 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:33 AM   #2864
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dan, looks like it can be done but as Kolbrek pointed out it did come at a cost... which was SPL.

So am I right in assuming that TH is not really the right cabinet for sub work then?
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:52 AM   #2865
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:

So am I right in assuming that TH is not really the right cabinet for sub work then?
Why not.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC PRO 5100_ Silent-versus-Yeller.JPG (450.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:42 PM   #2866
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Why not.

b
I believe I may have been a bit hasty in that call... Although it is 577 litres compared to just a 103 litres of a BR cabinet, the tuning does seem a fair bit lower. (using LMS Ultra 5400 data as that is the planned sub drivers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Getting there 2.jpg (98.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:09 PM   #2867
diyAudio Member

Dear Mr. McBean

I think this is the third time I've made this request and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You are probably sick of hearing it by now but please let us have more segments.

IIRC the last time this was formally discussed, you didn't see any way to add more segments without messing up the format of the input screen. I think you mentioned that Akabak was available if we wanted to simulate more sections.

But since Hornresp has been able to simulate PAR sections and Akabak can't it's become undesirable to rely on Akabak.

Here is a suggestion on how it can be done without changing the input window. Below is a picture of Hornresp, I've circled Ap1. Clicking Ap1 changes the label and context of those input boxes.

What I propose is clicking on S1 in the same way, and having that switch the segment input section to display S5 - 10. In that way you could allow infinite segments without changing the look of the input window at all. Every time you fill up the available segments, double clicking the segment label would give you more segments. Once you stop adding segments, double clicking the segment label would go back to S1 and subsequent double clicks would scroll through all the defined segments. Hope that makes sense.

Click the image to open in full size.

Please consider it. But even if you don't, thanks so much. I love Hornresp.

Last edited by just a guy; 3rd October 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:30 PM   #2868
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SS, looking at the attachments in your post with the Bass Box Pro design. You do have a box that is 104 litres.

However, unless I'm reading it wrong, you also seem to have a port that is 4936mm long with a diameter of 274.2mm. This is an extra 291 litres of port
Quote:
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:18 PM   #2869
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
... But since Hornresp has been able to simulate PAR sections and Akabak can't it's become undesirable to rely on Akabak. ...
As you point out, Hornresp has a limited number of sections available. AkAbak allows many. Define a series of waveguide sections with dimensions following the parabolic law. Close enough for rock'n'roll...
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:37 PM   #2870
diyAudio Member

Sure, it's possible and not even that hard, but are you really voting against more segments?

While not terribly difficult, the method you describe requires quite a bit of time, every time, for every segment of every model.

I'm guessing the proposed upgrade would be a lot simpler to implement than a lot of the recent upgrades so I had to ask again.

Last edited by just a guy; 3rd October 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!