Hornresp

No takers?

OK here is a tab at the answer.

If you are interested in producing what many are calling tapped horns, you are looking for a driver with a high sensitivity. High SPL/watt. And a high BL.

If you are going for a true tapped horn you are looking for a driver with those attributes and a higher Fs. This type of a driver can be used to create a tapped horn with more efficiency when compared to the same driver in a vented enclosure.

Thanks Mark.

Hornresp Update 3940-150824

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE 1

Refinements have been made to the way that the Undo / Redo feature handles combinations of flare / length input operations *, particularly when starting with an empty length field.

* The four possible combinations of flare / length input operations to specify a 100 cm conical horn in segment 1 when the L12 text box has the focus are:

1. Type C100 and press Enter or click on a different text box
2. Type 100C and press Enter or click on a different text box
3. Double-click label L12, type 100 and press Enter or click on a different text box
4. Type 100, double-click label L12 and press Enter or click on a different text box

These operations are now handled more gracefully by the Undo / Redo functionality.

CHANGE 2

In the Loudspeaker Wizard, the constant width dimension of a direct radiator enclosure or rectangular horn having two parallel sides can now be altered while leaving the cross-sectional height dimensions unchanged, by using the Width slider control in the Memory & Width window.

Specify the initial width dimension using the Width slider and then double-click on the Width label to switch the slider to the width adjustment mode. Adjust the slider to vary the horn or enclosure width from the initial value. Double-click on the label to reset to the initial width.

Attachments 1 and 2 refer.

My thanks to 'zettairyouiki' for suggesting this feature.

CHANGE 3

The empirical model developed by 'just a guy' to more accurately simulate the power response and diaphragm displacement of systems having drivers with large voice coils, has now been included as an option in the Loudspeaker Wizard. Click the Large Voice Coil check box on the schematic diagram window to select the option.

Attachment 3 refers.

My thanks to 'just a guy' for allowing the model to be included in Hornresp. A document produced by him describing the development and testing of the model, can be downloaded from the website below.

https://sites.google.com/site/amate...coil-simulation-accuracy-issue-and-adjustment

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 165
Sorry, the forum won't accept pdf attachments larger than 997 Mb. It's not hosted on data-bass, it's hosted on my old website, David posted the correct link a couple posts up. The download link is right at the bottom of the page below the picture, it's a downward pointing arrow you have to click. I was able to download it this morning when I tested it and I just tested it again right now and I still have no problem downloading it. If you can't get it PM me your email address and I'll send it to you if my modem decides to keep working. If my modem dies again I'm sure someone else can email it to you.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I have already found a problem with the latest release :).

The location of the new Large Voice Coil check box means that it partially hides messages displayed beneath the schematic diagram. (I completely forgot that the messages were provided).

Not sure what to do about it yet.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Quick Fix

Hi Everyone,

I have already found a problem with the latest release :).

The location of the new Large Voice Coil check box means that it partially hides messages displayed beneath the schematic diagram. (I completely forgot that the messages were provided).

Not sure what to do about it yet.

Kind regards,

David

Rotate Chamber Graphic 90 deg. Reduce height of Graphic Window. Move Check Box Control above Message Area.

Regards,

WHG

Hornresp Update 3940-150826

Hi Everyone,

The location of the new Large Voice Coil check box means that it partially hides messages displayed beneath the schematic diagram.

The problem has now been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 137
Hi Zero D,

That's a new word to me

Then it would seem that you must be one of the very few people in the world who has never heard of Harry Potter :).

Please comment on my suggestions for HR in here

Hornresp uses the standard lumped-element electro-mechano-acoustical equivalent circuit as documented in most acoustics textbooks. The values of all the elements in the circuit are specified as Hornresp input parameters, so there is really nothing to be gained by including a copy of the circuit itself. As 'just a guy' points out, his Large Voice Coil model simply changes the value of Bl, and all Hornresp then does is to automatically use that value in the internal calculations. If you calculate the required value using the formula given in his document, and then manually adjust the Bl slider to that value, you see that the end result is exactly the same.

The equivalent circuit used in Hornresp is expressed in a completely different form to that shown in the WinISD circuit included with your other post. The derived parameters shown in the WinISD circuit are not ones that a manufacturer provides values for - they vary with frequency, and need to be calculated from fundamental parameters. Hornresp uses those fundamental parameters as the inputs.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Bill,

Maintenance Programming is like House Remodeling; both are construction efforts reluctantly performed from the inside out.

So true :).

The way that Hornresp has grown over the years, it's now a bit like Hogwarts Castle - "not even I assume to know all it's secrets" :).

Apparating / Disapparating? Quantum Mechanics goes to Disneyland!

To the Universal Studios theme parks, actually :).

Apparition is the only way to travel, much better than using a broom, Floo Powder or a Portkey. Pity it doesn't work for us Muggles though, not even with Quantum Mechanics :).

Kind regards,

David