Hartley 18" Woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Default Hartley 18" Woofer

Believe it or not I just acquired an 18" Hartley woofer that looks and works like new.

Can anyone here provide me with any information on the dimensions of a transmission line I should place this beauty in? I'd really appreciate ANY constructive thoughts, suggestions or ideas.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hartley.jpg (21.6 KB, 1034 views)
Old 8th November 2007, 05:59 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lucky you. Hartley IIRC doesn't believe in T/S parameters, but they sure are handy when you want to sim a 1st pass of a box. Can you measure the driver?

Certainly a TL for these will be BIG, but should be capable of subterainium bass.

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 06:09 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If memory serves, Audio Amateur ran some articles on making a t-line for the Hartleys. That would have been MANY years ago, but it's probably in one of their anthology books. I think the author's name was Jastak.
Old 8th November 2007, 06:39 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Audio Amateur ran some articles on making a t-line for the Hartleys. That would have been MANY years ago, but it's probably in one of their anthology books. I think the author's name was Jastak.
They did and it is likely i have the article. The tools are somuch better today for designing an optimal line, that it would be prudent to just start over.

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 06:42 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here is a 24" in a TL.

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/Audio.html

Click the image to open in full size.

And i have the gut feeling that this line is a bit small for the driver.

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default A Tad More Insight

I appreciate the input I've received so far. Thank you all so much for your help, please keep it coming.

I just re-read my original post and feel like an idiot after doing so. The reason I am so excited about the 18" Hartley woofer, is not just because I received an 18" Hartley woofer --although that is certainly cause to be happy --- but the main reason I'm so happy is that I bought it for ONLY $50! Without that info my original post almost sounds arrogant to say believe it or not I received an 18" Hartley woofer as if that's some feat within itself.

Hopefully this further clarification illuminates why I was so excited about getting this woofer....
Old 8th November 2007, 07:46 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: A Tad More Insight

Quote:
Originally posted by thetubeguy1954
I bought it for ONLY $50!
:^)

A lot of cubes for the dollar there.

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 08:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Agreed

I agree 100% Planet. I've have lusted after Hartley woofers after hearing the HQD system @ Take 5 Audio in New Haven, Connecticut when I was a lot younger. I swore that one day I'd have a matching pair 24" Hartley subs in my audio system!

Granted this isn't the 24" model, but one day hopefully owning a matching pair of 18" Hartleys in transmission lines should provide sufficient enough bass for all but the most fanatical of bass lovers.

In any event as you can no doubt tell I'm quite pleased with my find AND for those who might be thinking this price is a fisherman's tale I provide some proof: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=009
Old 8th November 2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Badge is offline Badge  United States
diyAudio Member

back in their day, the 18" was considered better than the 24". I saw Dr. Ted Jastek's Hartley line and it was huge. This would also make a great built in wall woofer. Enjoy
Old 9th November 2007, 08:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have two 18" TL's designed around the 18sound 18LW1400. It might however have totally different T/S-parameters as the Hartley. It's tuned at ~ 31 Hz. They're about 32" x 20" x 54" (80 cm x 50 cm x 117 cm). Can post some pics if you're interested.

Wkr Johan

Hide this!Advertise here!