Hartley 18" Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Once I got a chance to have a listening to a pair of Hartley 24" in their original open back cabinets. (That's pretty much OB I guess.)

Without EQ (or any other kind of compensation) on the bass, they sounded a little "light" for the size. Tight and fast though.

planet10 said:
Here is a 24" in a TL.

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/Audio.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And i have the gut feeling that this line is a bit small for the driver.

dave

Dave,
If I'm not mistaken, the Hartley Sub in the picture was given to Audio club (PNWAS) many years ago. Also, and I'm not sure, but I think that it's also the one that was in the Audio Amature, or maybe an adaption of that design.

It's been a while...

Best Regards,
TerryO

planet10 said:
Here is a 24" in a TL.

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/Audio.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And i have the gut feeling that this line is a bit small for the driver.

dave

Dave,
I received the following in an email this morning from Dave Ruether:

I lived in Seattle for 7 years (until '83?), and did attend AS meetings (and gave a demo of my AQA "small" design T-Line with the Speaker Lab 12" [-3db at 20cps, tested at one of the meetings - MUCH lower than anything else brought in at the time...;-]). The only 24" Hartley I had out there was sold to someone who died, and I don't know what happened to it
afterward. There is much more on my web site (and on the links on it, including one for a CD of the TAA article I wrote on the construction of the larger 24" T-Line. I currently have a somewhat smaller (and a bit less "able" version) pictured on this site, at www.donferrario.com/ruether/Audio.html.
Let me know where the photo was posted, if you can find it... (curious what photo it was).
--
David Ruether ]

Best Regards,
TerryO (aka: Sherlock)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
my AQA "small" design T-Line with the Speaker Lab 12" [-3db at 20cps, tested at one of the meetings - MUCH lower than anything else brought in at the time...;-]).

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/nick/aqa.html

aqa.gif

(and a bit less "able" version) pictured on this site, at www.donferrario.com/ruether/Audio.html.
Let me know where the photo was posted, if you can find it... (curious what photo it was).

The pic is from the small site mentioned (as can be seen from the URl above the pic). Do you have a URL for his big site?

dave

Hi Everyone,
I'm sitting at home with a bad cold instead of being at Al Wooley's RAW Meet in BC. Anyway, with nothing worthwhile to do, I started looking through some old copies of the Audio Amateur for the TL articles.

So for your information and edification, I found two articles by Theodore Jastak. The first one is in Issue 1 of 1973 and the second is in Issue 4, also 1973.

Looking further, I finally found the article by Dave Ruether with the rather interesting title: The Big Bass Box , Hartley's two footer atop a portable closet.
This was one of the featured articles in Issue 2 of 1978's Audio Amateur.

The basic cabinet is 72 inches high, 48 inches wide and 24.5 inches deep with the 24inch Hartley mounted on top-center downfiring into the cabinet.

I hope that this will be of some use to any that have an interest in the various Hartley Subwoofer mention previously.

Best Regards,
TerryO

planet10 said:

Even if i had been able to plan to go, the snow is keeping us squirrelled away on the mountain. We will take Tysen (2 yo godson) out after his nap, walk up the road, and get a (Charlie Brown) christmas tree

dave

PS: take care of that cold.

Hi Dave,
It's snowing here as well, with enough of a breeze so it's nearly horizontal. We're in the foothills of the Cascades, although at only 550 ft. of elevation you wouldn't think it would matter too much, but it seems to be the drop-off point for snow.
:bawling:

Luckily I've got sufficient firewood so it doesn't make too much difference.
Stay warm,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.