Dual 12" Subwoofer Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've started up a project to make a pair of subs based on the Audio Drive 12-300SB 12" driver (a modified Eminence LAB12, used by BK Electronics in their Monolith sub).

It's going to run each drive in independant enclosures, of a compact size as possible (room size is a big restriction currently), sealed with an off-board power amp. I currently have a Behringer BFD for room EQ, though am also likely to use a Linkwitz Transform circuit to bring up the bottom end.

I've started a thread over on the AVTalk forum, but will post on here too.

AVTalk Thread

The one issue I have encountered so far is that when I input the speaker parameters into WinISD Pro it disagrees with the Cms info.

Listed as 0.35mm/N by Audio Drive, but WinISD gives me 0.1977mm/N.

Specs:

Impedance: 4ohms
Power: 300W
SPL 1W/1M: 86dB
Fs: 23.5hz
Re: 3.7ohms
Le: 1.30 mH
Qms: 2.73
Qes: 0.416
Qts: 0.361
Vas: 61.6 Litres
Mms: 232g
Cms: 0.35mm/N
BL: 17.46 T/M
Sd: 468.7 cm2
Xmax: +/-7.5mm

I don't have any easy way of measuring the info myself.

A few design images, for those who like that sort of thing; like me!

My old RTP-15 sub and the correctly scaled new design (one of).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The pair next to each other.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The pair stacked, for use in my current small room.

If I had the room to house them I'd probably go down the ported route.:)

As it is I'm currently sorting out small deatils, connectors etc to use, and getting a cost to have the cabinet parts cut properly. If I did them myself it would probbaly cost just as much, and also ages of time, to get the spare materials and tooling.

Should be fun. I'm needing to do some cabinet finish tests soon.:D

richie00boy said:
My only concern with side firing the drivers is that the cabinets may 'walk'. Otherwise looks like a nice project. I can put you in touch with a company that can cut and router the panels if you want.

Most of the time well contructed solid enclosures don't do this.

Some tips! If they do move then a square or cross of velcrow will stop this on carpet.

If on wood or slippy surface like tile then rubber strips or weather stripping or some cured silicone sealed ridges will stop it.

There always a solution.

The cabinet will have decent feet of some sort to ensure they stay put. The current surface they have to contend with is carpet, and it is likely to stay that way when I move house, so pobably some good spikes for now.

I've not had any issues with walking cabinets on sub projects, as they're pretty heavy, well braced enclosures, normally ending up on spikes for the carpet. The upper of the 2 when stacked with gain some 'rubber feet', not sure exactly what yet.

richie00boy, if you could email me the company/contact that would be much appreciated.

Just an observation, but the U part of the horizontal brace probably will not do much. If it is porportioned correctly in the drawing it looks like there is only 1/2"-3/4" there. This will do little to brace the side, or front wall.

Although that looks to be 1" material you are using so the cabinet may be dampened enough anyway. Other than that it looks to be a nice project.

I have my sealed subwoofers decoupled from the floor by floating them on a pair of bicycle innertubes. This is wonderful for my apartment because it doesnt transmit as much vibration to the neighbors but it also doesnt vibrate the floor which improves bass clarity and integration. I wont go back to rigid feet. As for sealed over ported, I really like my sealed boxes. I put them directly behind my couch to gain sensitivity that i could use to LT them later! : )
Good project!

One thing I hadn't mentioned is that these will by used in a system alongside a set of Jamo THX Ultra speakers, namely the D6 LCR (x3) and D6 SURR (x2). Electronics is currently a Denon AVR-2800 DD/dts receiver of 1999 vintage.
For amplification of the subs I amp looking at using an Alesis RA500 studio power amp (this is a power to cost ratio thing, ie i can't afford anything more currently). They'll be handling everything on 5.1 sountrack above 80Hz and all the LFE channel information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.