Driver selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am I totally wrong here? Do you really have to have two of the drivers sticking out of the box for this four driver set up, push/pull, isobaric?

I have planned to maybe, do this myself, but as I understood the Dickason cookbook, I thought it would be possible to do this with two drivers front to back, where the second driver are coupled with its front to a tube that is connected to the driver mounted "as usual", that is, front out. Was this understandable???

I would much preferr such an arrangement as I do not want any drivers sticking out from the box.

Hi,
yes, you can mount the isobaric pair facing the same direction. They work well. This was the Linn Kan arrangement and it was a bass/mid driver.
The construction takes up quite a bit more internal volume so the overall box size needs to be a bit bigger, so that the internal volume after deducting the isobaric tube and drivers and deducting the vent, if any, still meets the size requirement.

The front to back pair are more difficult to build and you need a method of installing the rear driver and removing it if the worst ever happened.

Hi,
an isobaric pair require half the enclosed (internal) volume of a single driver.
Using two isobaric pairs brings the required volume back up to that of the single driver.

It's usefulness could be to increase the power handling (+12db) of a single driver box, a very easy experiment when using the clamshell (front to front) arrangement. It will also increase the low bass by +6db.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
buggsson said:
How can this be when you are using four drivers? I would have guessed that the net volume would double the volume for one driver. How is it that the second pair do not contribute to the net volume?

1 driver requires N litres
2 drivers configured isobarically require N/2 litres (ie 1 compound driver)
2 compound drivers (4 individual drivers isobarik) require 2 x (N/2) = N litres

All volumes are net.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.