Post your Solid State pics here

My honey badger inspired amp with CFP outputs instead of EF.

Attachments

• power amp 001.jpg
    power amp 001.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 1,860
  • power amp 002.jpg
    power amp 002.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 1,745
ok, I finally decided to go with blue led's, Green are nice too, but I like blue better. and the bad thing when you got for a small chassis, you do not have enough room to proper locate boards, power supply, transformer etc. I was tired of big amps so I went for a small amp but with some juice too!;)

PS: it measure approximated W= 8 H= 2 1/2 D= 12

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    673.6 KB · Views: 1,545
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    713.8 KB · Views: 886
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    715.5 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
Lanchile: Nice and tidy! ... +/- Rail voltage? Type of amp? (Power MOSFET?)

45vdc per rail, but they can work from 30vdc to 60vdc, since I did not have more room for a bigger transformer I had to use this 300vac that I had around. These kits are the M400 from hdamp.com take a look http://www.hdamp.com/M400.html. This is so far the best amp I have ever had, and I had good ones like Bryston amp;)

Will that improve something?

To reduce the possibility of high frequency/parasitic oscillation. But of course, it seems that it will be just a waste to lift the 220R gate stoppers, knowing that the amp has more than enough compensation ("too" big input cap filter, caps across inverting and non-inverting input, RC filters next to gate stopper. Strangely, it doesn't have one across FB resistor).

This is so far the best amp I have ever had, and I had good ones like Bryston amp;)

They (M400 and Bryston) are in a very different category. Bryston is pro-audio oriented. M400 is 3-stage amplifier with latfet output. The strength point of this topology is the monotonic THD spectrum, especially the non-symmetrical one. If you build the non-symmetrical one and replace one VAS transistor with a bootstrap, you will even hear sweeter vocal. This second harmonic things make comparison become subjective.

Well, the ESP P101 (the non-symmetrical version of the topology) is in the same category with M400. That's if you want a fair and less subjective comparison.

I had a Bryston 3BST with me for about 2 weeks. I compared it with many amps. The Bryston has very tight bass and in addition goes very deep. So it has lots of weight AND bite. On other amps that do reasonably well in the 'tight' sound, do not have the weight in the bass. They sound 'lighter' ! Sounds like extended low end on the Bryston though this doesn't translate into any difference in LF frequency response between the amps.
Overall effect is that it " sounds powerful " even at low volume.

Does the M400 and P101 match up with that ? I have my own doubts.

Any decent examples of RC snubbers from the Vas output to the rails ?

What do you mean with "decent"? Does this include driver between VAS and output? If no driver, then it means at the input of the output transistor (usually mosfet). Sometimes we need small gate stopper, but we need it big for stability. Pavel Dudek's approach to use small gate stopper (10R) but coupled with RC (100R/100p if I'm not mistaken) was interesting to me. AND the RC filter is at the gate (after gate stopper) not before gate stopper as in M400 (but of course in M400 one RC is to accommodate 2 paralleled mosfets).

Does the M400 and P101 match up with that ? I have my own doubts.

That's why I said they are in different category. I will not even try to think which one is better. And 3B is not better than 4B and may be 2B.

Hey Jay! Have you "ever" build the M400 from hadamp.com? I asked this question because "it is not the same" as the ESP P101 as you said!!!
About Bryston amps, they are very good for sure, but when I said the M400 sounded better then some Bryston amps I was not comparing the topology, design, colors, parts etc. I just compared the sound and the M400 sounded better that is all!. When you build one M400 or T300 from hdamp.com come back and tell us if you like it or not. if you ever build the NXV200 from Aussie amplifiers and though it sounded very good (it does)...wait until you listen to the M400.;)

Pavel Dudek's approach to use small gate stopper (10R) but coupled with RC (100R/100p if I'm not mistaken) was interesting to me. AND the RC filter is at the gate (after gate stopper) not before gate stopper as in M400 (but of course in M400 one RC is to accommodate 2 paralleled mosfets).

Ooops sorry, you're talking about RC filter connected to supply rail like in M400 (not to ground like in Pavel amp). I remember I have seen a few, and that there was quite a debate about it's function. But cannot find it right now (too many amp circuits in my harddisk)

wait until you listen to the M400.;)

I have heard many, and I care only for the best. I give you P101 because it seems you haven't heard a lot of amps. I didn't say P101 is the same with M400. I said P101 is the non-symmetrical version of the topology used in M400 (From the non-symmetrical versions there are two types: CCS and BOOTSTRAP), and would be comparable with M400. May be also JLH80 (but this amp has regulated power supply that is critical for its quality).

Unfortunately not many amps with M400 topology. I have built the same topology as M400 several times, but I favored non-symmetrical designs (single ended), which lead me to Fetzilla topology. May be that is the reason why not many amps have been built with M400 topology.

Strangely, many amps have been built with M400 topology but with cascaded VAS like the Crescendo. But honestly I prefer non-cascaded VAS like M400. And I like the two-transistor CCS. And I like MPSA92/42 better than 2N5401/5551.

Hopefully we can stop this off topic discussion before somebody complain...