Post your Solid State pics here

SymAsym madness: "AAK" dual-transistor rev. 1.3

Finished this up over the weekend. IMHO, this amplifier sounds more refined in the top end than the stock SymAsym. Possibly due to the JFET input and improved board layout. It's dead quiet and has a very nicely detailed and grain-free treble.

The slim TO-3 SymAsym amp under construction that I posted recently doesn't sound quite so nice, so I'm giving serious thought to changing out the boards for DX's Blame ST or Mk. 2.

-Henry

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,307
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,239
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 1,272
Finished this up over the weekend. IMHO, this amplifier sounds more refined in the top end than the stock SymAsym. Possibly due to the JFET input and improved board layout. It's dead quiet and has a very nicely detailed and grain-free treble.

The slim TO-3 SymAsym amp under construction that I posted recently doesn't sound quite so nice, so I'm giving serious thought to changing out the boards for DX's Blame ST or Mk. 2.

-Henry

This looks better then my project, but afcourse it is in testfase.

Attachments

• 11012008055.jpg
    11012008055.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 1,272
kees52: TRUE DIY!

Haha yehh thanks, but see how nice the 20 Khz blockwave.

first without and next with 3 way loudspeakerfilter with 8 ohm balast resistors, it keep stable, so the mess have good results and ready for pcb,ing, sound is fantastic and I can use a lot of different tubes with and without feedback for testing..

So I hope to put here something soon for U to build.

Attachments

• 12012008058.jpg
    12012008058.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 10012008054.jpg
    10012008054.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
kees52: build it for your pleasure - I like it just as posted: naked, narrow, open, with very nice 20kHz square!

Thanks

well, i have it on test, this day I did test a lot of tubes, (voltage stage) and wauw what a differences, now I listen to the 6J51P this penthode sounds the best of all, very wide open stage even in mono I am pleasured, I have feedback and can set if off, the amp is so stable that I can solder an the feedback without a problem, just with wires, the amp has not no coil in output.

very beautifull sound so livelike and open, far better then with cathodefollower driving mosfets, so I have invited some audio nerts to listen, in mono at first and build a pcb.

still not problems after days of testing, it has done 130 watts in resistor for 24 hours, it was a a kind of stove but survived, not to hot..

As you see on picture I am glad I have no wive, but yes it is very exciting and feedback??? if it is current feedback then sound is not really affected, with out feedback the soundstage is differend thats a fact, but when good and low feedback then it makes sound clean without clinic effects, that occur when the amp has a very high open loop, better is good components use and low only current feedback like most tube amps have.

One drawback of current feedback, it is very offset unstable so the need of a (very well designed) servo amp is needed or thermical coupling of components what not always work.

Attachments

• 14012008064.jpg
    14012008064.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
when make some PCB and case for it, it can worse its sound....
open and airy sound is just related to open and airy construction.

by the way, would you show here schematic (or post it to me as a private msg) of the unit?
..to I could better understand to your enthustiastic comments, many thanks