Control the DC offset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2006, 07:52 AM   #1
Progg70 is offline Progg70  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Control the DC offset

Hi!

I have this circuit in my new project. Iís plays nice but I need some ideas to keep the dc offset at 0V. The problem is biggest when I start it up, DC power on and then the dc offset is about -2V. After a wile when the circuit is warm then itís down to 0,2V.
Please give me some god ideas.

See picture...

Ola A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inputstage1.jpg (20.6 KB, 526 views)
Old 12th December 2006, 05:17 PM   #2
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Control the DC offset

Quote:
Originally posted by Progg70
Iís plays nice
The problem is biggest when I start it up, DC power on and then the dc offset is about -2V.
I assume you have built it.

Have you tried shorting the input to see what effect this has on cold and hot offset?

What components and values have you used?
Old 12th December 2006, 05:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What result can I see if I do that?

I have a 2n5566 N-fet input side. BC560 as VAS and BD139 as Output.

Thanks
Old 12th December 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

For differential input amps without a servo the feedback input is often:
1) tied into a variable resistor between +V and -V to sum in a warm-mode output null-offset voltage. This compensates for the imperfect matching between components

2) a large cap is placed in series with the feeback resistor to ground... typically 470uF paralled with 100pF for high freq rejection. this allows only AC feedback

Take a look at the Krell KSA100 or SysSym amp threads for examples.
Old 13th December 2006, 08:59 AM   #5
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Progg70
What result can I see if I do that?
you can see if you have set the amp up for zero DC output offset when fed from a low impedance source. That should be your first priority. then try refining it for warm up characteristics.
Old 13th December 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
If you add all the current sources to your per amp then your circuit is not all that different from the one that I normally use.
The main difference is that I use LM394, a dual transistor, for the input diffrential pair.

I agree with the replies you have received to date. However I have been able to avoid using a capacitor in the feedback by adjusting the values of the resistors. It does take some time however.

I also found that the current source of the diferential pair was critical. Possibly this is your problem area. It helps if that supplies a constant current as the temperature varies.

I also found that fastening all the transistors to a common heatsink helped. Heatsinking the input pair and the current supply to the differential pair on one heatsink made the bigest difference. ( Most of my circuits use p to p wiring so I simply aligne the transistors that I want to heatsink.)

Just my findings but I hope this helps.
Don
Old 13th December 2006, 10:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i think the answer to this question will depend on what your current sources are? if they are just resistors i am not surprised at your results.
Old 15th December 2006, 08:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Red face sources that every one today uses

If I was using resistors then I had used that in the schematic.
I have really god ones with led as voltage fix. And npn transistors for the high output impedanceÖ sources that every one today uses

Thanks AMV8 I almost expected that solution. However the input N-fet are in the same substrate. Even if you put everything on a common heat sink how long time takes it to you get to the correct dc-offset? or do you play from the beginning with a high DC-offset. The speakers donít have any problem with a couple V as long you playing musicÖ
Old 20th December 2006, 07:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Ola

The biggest source of drift I think will be in the PNP VAS. Perhaps you could connect another PNP as a diode in series with the resistor going from the base to Vcc.

Then as has been mentioned thermally connect these two together.

Maybe this would help.

Cheers

John

Hide this!Advertise here!