Audio Amplifier without transistors or tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Is it possible to build a small amp or a big amp without the need of any semiconductors or tubes?
Just plain old coils, caps, Resistors or any homemade switching conductors.

And here I have a mystery question, is it possible to change the impedance of a coil by disturbing it with a other magnetic field or something? Like in a transformer

I think this project will be must easier to build then my “Transmitters without transistors or Tubes”
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90980

check out a picture of a MJ2955 Transistor slashed open

Attachments

• rimg0001.jpg
    rimg0001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 667
Hi, jacquesl

Why do you want to advoid transistor/tubes? I'm not allergic to transistors, but still looking for a more linear transistor (if possible, have linearity like simple plain resistor supplied with current :D)

I'm not thinking about how to do it, but from the word "Amplifier" it means a device to "amplify".
How do you make an "amplifier" without a device to "amplify" anything?

Yo, thanks heater, this is some ultra good stuff man.
Do you think magnetic amplifiers can deliver some good quality sound and the other part will it cause some serous magnetic interferences with my other stuff, like to give some free bad sectors to my Hard drives and cause my TV to change the image to weird shapes and colours

jacquesl said:
I don’t know if relays will do the job “It probably depends on the load, It will make some serous noise like click click click click and it will cause a interference on the TV and on AM radio it will act like a spark gap transmitter.

It would need heavy filtering, and note that I said ver low frequencies. That was mainly because relays are slow, but it will also help to filter out sparks, since they will produce very high frequencies in comparison to the signal. As for the mechanical noise, yes that might be a problem, but I suppose this was rather about what one could possibly do than what might provide a good alternative to standard technology.

I know Per Lundahl - the founder of the magnetics company - has experimented with magnetic amplifiers for a long time. They run seriously hot, and are pretty inefficient, but I remember reading a comment by UK reviewer Paul Messenger saying prototypes had an incredible clarity, especially at low listening levels.

That was seven or eight years ago, I don't what became of the project.

I'd love to know what Per Lundahl did because mag amps have always been noted as very efficient, they are/were used to control thousands of watts, but no good at low levels. Not to mention the huge distortion.

In fact in those old papers I have linked to I get the idea of huge power gain but the control input is basically DC whilst the power being controlled is AC.

Given the reputation of Per's audio transformers if he can't get it to work nicely then nobody can.

It ain't so !!!

HI.

Reading the article carefully reveals that the following are required :-

A line level input stage.
A voltage to pulse width converter
A choke driver stage

So hardly without tubes or transistors.

It would also appear to require a special loudspeaker tailored to the amplifiers strange characteristics.

Andy

Museum of RetroTechnology - by Douglas Self

A Hot-Air Engined Gramophone.

This remarkable gramophone is powered by a hot-air engine instead of the usual clockwork. It was found at the National Gin Museum in Hasselt, Belgium.

The link there is that the engine is heated by alcohol.
It was called "The Maestrofoon",
and according to the label on the case,
was made by Paillard in Switzerland, around 1915.

Hot-Air Gramophone web page

Table of Contents

Pneumatic Networking
A Hot-Air Engined Gramophone
The Fluidic Gramophone
Compressed-Air Amplifiers
Mechanical Amplifiers
ElectroMechanical Amplifiers

Early Telephone Lines
Optical Telegraphs
Voicepipes & Speaking Tubes
Heliographs

The Museum of RetroTechnology - by Douglas Self (audio amplifier man)

Web Research
by
lineup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.