Phase Linear Model 700 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Gibbi is offline Gibbi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Phase Linear Model 700

I am a PL model 700 fan and currently have 2 of these sweeties. I am looking for anyone that may have made a copy of the main pcb on these units as I have one in which I would love to replace the old beat up one with a new one. I read with great interest the rebuild of the Crown 300 amp but have not the experience to make copies of the original as did the gentlemen who did the fine rebuild on the Crown. Any suggestions/guidance would be most appreciated.
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:30 AM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Gibbi,
Take pictures and strip the parts out of the old board. Cut another to match and place the old board on top. Drill all the holes using the old one as a guide.

Now, clean the new PCB and "connect the dots" with a resist pen. Etch and you have a new PCB.

-Chris
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'f your going to replace the board I would suggest that you totally rebuild the Flame Linear with all new transistors. I guess this is another amp from way back when that you have either got to love or hate the thing. I had one, it was ok but nothing to write home about. To each his own I guess.
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Phase Linear Model 700

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibbi
I am looking for anyone that may have made a copy of the main pcb
I did that about 20 years ago and still have the layout.
However, I had no knowledge of how a PCB should look like - not that I have now - and just fiddled around with a marker and some paper. I'll post it if I can find it.

/Hugo
Old 3rd November 2006, 01:01 PM   #5

Here you go for what its worth.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pl700 002.jpg (72.8 KB, 1077 views)
Old 3rd November 2006, 01:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Joe,
Quote:
I guess this is another amp from way back when that you have either got to love or hate the thing. I had one, it was ok but nothing to write home about.
It would probably be much better with newer transistors. I've rebuilt many in stock form. I must say though, it sounded better than a 4B easily.

Hugo,
Nice job. That must have taken forever!

-Chris
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:27 PM   #7
Gibbi is offline Gibbi  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok guys, now that I have the layout on paper, how do I tranfer that to the PCB? I've no experience with creating PCB's if you haven't gathered.

The draw on the PCB method I understand, but if I can use the layout it would seem that I could do a more professional looking job by transferring it the PCB.

I really do appreciate the help on this project.

Also, regarding the sound of these, I have taken one and replaced every single capacitor in it, have replaced the output transistors with 21196's, and I found it to be wonderfull sounding - better sounding that my Denon POA 2400. I think most folks just change the output transistors (which I've done on another too) and find the sound pretty similar to what it was before. If the 700 is in like new condition and adjusted properly they are surprising. I really don't think many people have heard one of these in this state, so some of the responses regarding sound quality do not surprise me. I've not heard Bob Carver's Sunfire products but it wouldn't surprise me to learn the best was the first - I've owned/heard some of the Carver amps for comparison.
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
That must have taken forever!
In those days time was not an issue.

Gibbi,
I honestly don't recall how I transferred that layout to PCB.
I think that a local electronics shop did the deed as a service to his customers. I gave them what I posted above and a week or so later I had the PCB. Had to drill the holes myself.
Now, again, be careful if you use my layout. I believe there is one small mistake but I have to open up the amp to find it. Also, this is not EE work but was fun to do in these days.

/Hugo
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Gibbi,
A matched set of differential transistors (per channel) will also improve the sound quality. Fixed up they aren't bad sounding.

-Chris
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:52 PM   #10

I have MAT02's (or 03's, don't know) in there as at that time they were top notch transistors and of course we went for the best available.
Outputs were replaced by NEC 2SD555.

Oh, and don't touch the germaniums. The protection circuit is designed to work with the 0.2V Vbe.
Chris, correct me if I'm wrong.

/Hugo

Hide this!Advertise here!