Phase Linear Model 700

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a PL model 700 fan and currently have 2 of these sweeties. I am looking for anyone that may have made a copy of the main pcb on these units as I have one in which I would love to replace the old beat up one with a new one. I read with great interest the rebuild of the Crown 300 amp but have not the experience to make copies of the original as did the gentlemen who did the fine rebuild on the Crown. Any suggestions/guidance would be most appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gibbi,
Take pictures and strip the parts out of the old board. Cut another to match and place the old board on top. Drill all the holes using the old one as a guide.

Now, clean the new PCB and "connect the dots" with a resist pen. Etch and you have a new PCB.

-Chris

I'f your going to replace the board I would suggest that you totally rebuild the Flame Linear with all new transistors. I guess this is another amp from way back when that you have either got to love or hate the thing. I had one, it was ok but nothing to write home about. To each his own I guess.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here you go for what its worth.

/Hugo

Attachments

• pl700 002.jpg
    pl700 002.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,198
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
I guess this is another amp from way back when that you have either got to love or hate the thing. I had one, it was ok but nothing to write home about.
It would probably be much better with newer transistors. I've rebuilt many in stock form. I must say though, it sounded better than a 4B easily.

Hugo,
Nice job. That must have taken forever!

-Chris

Ok guys, now that I have the layout on paper, how do I tranfer that to the PCB? I've no experience with creating PCB's if you haven't gathered.

The draw on the PCB method I understand, but if I can use the layout it would seem that I could do a more professional looking job by transferring it the PCB.

I really do appreciate the help on this project.

Also, regarding the sound of these, I have taken one and replaced every single capacitor in it, have replaced the output transistors with 21196's, and I found it to be wonderfull sounding - better sounding that my Denon POA 2400. I think most folks just change the output transistors (which I've done on another too) and find the sound pretty similar to what it was before. If the 700 is in like new condition and adjusted properly they are surprising. I really don't think many people have heard one of these in this state, so some of the responses regarding sound quality do not surprise me. I've not heard Bob Carver's Sunfire products but it wouldn't surprise me to learn the best was the first - I've owned/heard some of the Carver amps for comparison.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:
That must have taken forever!

In those days time was not an issue. :)

Gibbi,
I honestly don't recall how I transferred that layout to PCB.
I think that a local electronics shop did the deed as a service to his customers. I gave them what I posted above and a week or so later I had the PCB. Had to drill the holes myself.
Now, again, be careful if you use my layout. I believe there is one small mistake but I have to open up the amp to find it. Also, this is not EE work but was fun to do in these days.

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have MAT02's (or 03's, don't know) in there as at that time they were top notch transistors and of course we went for the best available. :)
Outputs were replaced by NEC 2SD555.

Oh, and don't touch the germaniums. The protection circuit is designed to work with the 0.2V Vbe.
Chris, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

/Hugo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Hugo,
I don't recall the germainium transistors. That detail is lost to the mists of time. You would be correct if they are in there.

My guess is that you got burnt by that to have remembered it so well! I have my own memories (getting burnt! ;) ).

-Chris

Phase Linear 700 Clone???

Ok, I have to admit it... the Phase Linear 700 IS a dinosaur but it IS also a very powerful amp running +/-100 volt rails. It was Flame Linears best sounding amp as well. With up to date semi's, a real actual power supply with some real actual caps instead of the dinky doos they used plus some other mods I wonder if this dinosaur could be brought back alive to the higher performance standards we are used to today??? It might be fun to see what this old Quasi circuit can do with modern semis.

Should we call this a PLone instead of a CLone... then there is the ongoing KLone of the KSA-50?

P.S. You can all make fun of me for posting this but LuckyLyndy suggested this to me so here it is... so make fun of him too!

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.