FET inputs or bipolar inputs on a power amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Zenmaster,
The most extensive treatment I have seen is:
The Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook, by Douglas Self
you gave us the link to the same reference (but once again you have not recognised what you didn't read).

BTW. the extract from post133 is identical in the second edition. Nothing added and nothing removed.

The companion read is still JLH, his treatment is quite different but by reading both one learns much.
Would the Sloan book add anything to these two?

I found guidance on choosing stability components missing from both (how and where and what value to place) .
JLH and DS are very different in this area when you compare schematics. One is for Miller comp cap (exclusively) and the other avoids Mcc like the plague (but with the attendant multiplicity of stability components spread around the circuit). But neither give guidance on how to calculate the first quess to try out.

AndrewT, I'm not quite sure what you are really saying.

John Lindsey Hood, Douglas Self, and G. Randy Slone have all written excellent books.

JLH is more of an introductory and overview book. He deals much with the history of audio circuits.

GRS, Slone or Sloan, is a hobby project book. He is concerned with you 3 stage opamp like circuits for power amps. He goes on at length analyzing how to get the lowest distortion. He favors mirror circuits on the inputs. He also likes MOSFET outputs. He also recommends DS.

DS seems to be the most exhaustive and detailed treatment. He does not favor JFET inputs or MOSFET outputs. He feels these things are largely subjectivist fads.

As far as how GRS and DS differ on compensation, I will have to take your word for it. I like these books very much. But no, I have not read every single word of them.

I don't think any of these matters are entirely closed. Its more the reasoning process that I look for in such books.

For monolithic OPamps, the miller effect type compensation on the second stage is abou the only way to fit that into the monolithic circuit.

But other compensation schemes are feed forward, more complex.

But the most basic is an output capacitor. This has to be quite big. You have to make some careful calculations to know your output impedance to do this. Those who sell the parts for speaker crossovers do sell nonelectrolytic caps this big. If you go for this option, you have the advantage that you will never be made unstable by driving a capacitive load.

Where as with the miller way, since you have a highly variable gain, and the very high and highly variable impedance of a current source, the pole postion is quite variable. That is why I don't like the miller effect 2nd stage way.

Also, if you try to drive a capacitive load, you will have two poles, and are flirting with instability.

ZMB, brian.zenmaster@gmail.com

I really do like Douglas Self!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.