a little bit of hum...............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, Ive got a hum problem, just need some feedback, i am currently monoblocking, Monobridging two Behringer A500 *pro Amps, and on the left channel i seem to be getting some hum. I have it in a system with a rotel pre amp, Cd player, turntable, Cassette deck

Before i say any more, sometimes i run my finger along the front of my Cd player and amp which is metal , and there is a small voltage ,static running across them. I have a small studio, and the hum is present in there, also downstairs it happens to the hifi in the front room. a small charge at times. My television upstairs has the same background interference. I have had that for 4 years, and beforehand a Audiolab 8000SX times 2, and that never gave off hummed so much.

anyway any info ideas, could be poor grounding in the power amp, the interconnects, i have unplugged everything , interconnects and all

So maybe a ring main problem? Its a bit of a lottery really.

thanks for any info

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It’s difficult to confirm if the hum and the voltage present on the metal parts of the system are related with each other.
I however would advice to let an electrician have a serious look at the ground in the house and studio. Being in the consumer business, I frequently encounter houses with bad or no grounds and it’s not the first time I got shocked by the cable antenna or the video and TV equipment.
It might be a solution for the hum as well.

/Hugo

Hi,
being British based you are unlikely to have an earth stake and similarly no pole transformer.

Depending on which earthing system your power company installed will determine whether you have a true earth or an earth shared with the neutral incomer.

Whichever, I would go for a professional check over just for peace of mind. There is a downside, if they find a problem they will condemn it and may switch you off until it's fixed. You are then over a barrel, and price no longer seems relevant.

ps, you can buy a cheap plug top with a tester built in that checks for the presence of Live, Neutral and Earth and that they are on the correct poles. But it does not check the quality of your system connections.

These guys are "spot on" if that's the correct term. I have sometimes foolishly ignored tingles on equipment only to find out sometime later that I was touching a solid 120 Volts AC... damp socks or barefoot is a good (BAD) way of finding these things.

Take along wire and tie it to a water pipe. Go around your house with a meter... you might be shocked (literally) at what you find.

Oh, BE CARFULL with that long wire, don't ground yourself!

:eek:

EDIT: speeling... again!

Well thanks for all your help, i have posted on many forums , about the problem and many people have come back with really good advice.

I have now Just unplugged every bit of eqpt , with just the "one", power amp, still conectted to the pre amp, unplugged, (From the mains), and intercoonectd still to the other power amp(unplugged), on its own it hums like crazy, its like it cuts down the ground hum, if i plug the other one in and turn it on. I hope that makes sense.

Im wondering about buying a Russ Andrews "silencer", wether that may work. I mean i have had the static charge for years and its not made a difference, to my audiolab 8000SX,s power amps i had previously but, maybe monoblocking, adds to the noise and doubles it.

I may have to get an electrician to do some readings, also Perhaps some grounding ideas for the chassis.

these Behringer A500 pro amps, at least do have a gain output so i do turn it as low as possible, in order for the hum to not be overbearing. But enought to drive it at moderately high levels

It also doesnt matter what i plug it into, Cd player, Different preamps, always the same hum, the other Channel, and power amp however is as silent as anything.

once again thanks for all the great ideas/advice

emp,

You are kinda missing the point to put it gently.

1) The problems you are describing do not really suggest that some piece of equipment is at fault.

2) What is suspect is the wiring in your home.

3) Forget the add-ons and band-aids for the moment.

4) Verify your home wiring first... If you have a voltmeter, and you are handy with it, then there are plenty of sharp Brits that can help you check things out.

5) Do this FIRST! NO piece of gear should shock you!

6) It might be a piece of gear... but why does the problem repeat itself in multiple areas of your home?

:smash:
:clown:

You could have a problem with AC symmetry aggravating gear with toroidal inputs... not the first place to look however.

;)

I picked the wrong day to quit smoking!

Thanks Poobah, sorry about that, I just made my life easier by posting the same text on all four forums, and so it wasnt as relevant anad made me sound, like i was listening.

Many people have many differing ideas, but one things for sure I will get an electrician to have a look at it. The only reason I say about the Power amp is, i have had mo problems with other ones, But firstly, the voltage problem should be sorted.

thanks one again:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.