a little bit of hum...............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, dare i say i got to the route of the*audio* hum, I took the interconnect to peices and it wasnt grounded, one of the wires had snapped off to the outer Earth cable, weird as i swear i had checked it first and it was intact. all the same, it has cut the hum by half(barely audible with the gain pot at half), down to an acceptable level. I say *audio* hum, but there is still some, issues with the electricity. It has been like it for years in this house, so im still getting an electrician to look at it.

see what this small voltage is. But im waiting for funds to develop before i can afford one to come out. (is an invalid Hypochondriac reliant on the state for money) all the same im pleased my Amp is not faulty, and that i can listen to low level music at night with near silence, bliss!!:D ;

Be very carefull when checking the mains.
And dont be suprised to find a few volts differance between earth and neutral.During normal operation there should be next to no return current down the earth lead, however there is a return current via the nuatral and as there is a resistance ?.
impedance call it what you will in the neutral there is a small volt drop
I hold a 16 edition electrical cert and i am still aware remember it milliamps that kill not volt!!!
Typical fault currents can be in the range of1000- 10,000 amps at the supply to your house
Also be aware that as well as a shock hazard ther is also a burns risk when you mess with the house supply.
best regards Trev

DMM=digital multimeter.

I was recounting how frustrating it can be when the leads develop a break due to the bending and stretching over time. At first it can be intermittent, and just seems like a few odd components are blown. Then it dawns on me and I find myself wondering how far to go back and check my measurements.

Anyway, congrats on finding the problem, well the first one anyway :)

Possibly If you can test run the amps with inputs disconnected (and the input trims at zero), isolated from any other piece of gear, do you hear the same problem? Do the amps have earth ground connected to the audio ground (disconnect everything, double check that it's all unplugged, then just use a continuity tester)... I've consistantly found that it is a common goof up in amp design....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.