The unbeatable sound system, vastly superior quality of reproduction...guaranteed!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
awpagan said:
carlos
interesting post

honestly hadn't though about using the amps that way
"cutting input frequencies"
amplifying only the frequency range you want.

will try it.
but need the other amp finished first.
only need 2 amps ( 2 way speakers)

Question
How will the preamp handle driving 2 to 3 amps?

Could affect Zout, Zin

didn't like the idea of opamps btween preamp and amp.

alan

Building 4-7 Chip Amps (or gainclones) using LM3875/LM3886/LM4780
is a quick way to make an active amp-speaker system.

Can be two way speakers = 4 amplifiers
Can be two way speakers + sub = 5 amps
Can be three way speakers = 6 amps
Can be three way speakers + sub = 7 amps
-------------------------------

Question
How will the preamp handle driving 2 to 3 amps?

If you use preamp -> active crossovers -> power-amps -> tweeter/woofer
Active crossovers will have 4-7 outputs to drive 4-7 power-amps.

Each power amplifier is directkly driving each separate speaker element voice coil
(without any caps and inductors filters)

preamp -> 1 buffer input OP-amp feeds all active crossovers
-------------------------------

You say you do not want OP-amp between preamp and power amp.

I say, I prefer this, to have passive filter caps and inductors between power amp output and speaker drivers.
And power amplifier adjusted to drive in a limited frequency span
with a specific single voice coil as load.

OP-Amp based filtering using low value film caps and resistors is simply superior to
big value capacitors and inductors in a passive speaker crossover.

The unbeatable sound system, vastly superior quality of reproduction...guaranteed!!!
:smash:

Gratako-
It's like having an all star team that never practiced together.
----------------------------------------------------------
sounds like Carlos and his buddies :D

seriously there is potential there in theory to create something
unique but then again i see even more in the conventional stereo
field, so i am happy for you guys hope you dont mess up with all
that circuitry and wiring, good luck in PA

mastertech said:
Eva-
PA is the same as Hi-Fi but louder (should be thought this way)
---------------------------------------------------
anyway, why dont we call it all audio eva-end if you see no difference

:dead:

As I got it:

A high power HIFI can be used as PA.
PA should not be used for true HIFI.

PA main purpose is good public announcement.
To acheive this you are willing and sometimes have to sacrifice some sound quality.
This goes for PA loudspeakers as well as amplifiers.

lineup:

Have you ever had the opportunity to play around freely with PA gear in big open fields? (yes I've had, probably more than a hundred times)

Actually, I think that most people here would start hating "hi-fi" (as they know it) and would become addicted to things like horn bass if they were left playing with the right gear for a long enough time :D

What you can hear in live performances is not the whole story, as you will be almost always listening to a mix made out of 20 or 30 microphones placed in a noisy stage (having several monitors!!), with a lot of reverb applied as a desperate attempt to make up the mess a bit. Also, what you hear in night-clubs and big discos is not a good PA reference, because you will be usually listening to a mix of low-quality recordings made by some DJ that has no equalisation abilities and is not even allowed to listen to the "PA side" because he or she is trapped inside a cabin and only has a pair of small monitors or headpones as a reference. (I use ear-caps when I go to these places, this way I get more or less the same sound reference as the DJ does :D ).

Of course, the so called "high power hi-fi" produces quite frustrating results when you attempt to use it for PA, since it's almost unavoidably made out of low-eficiency direct radiation drivers, and as you go 15 or 20 meters away from the speakers, it starts sounding like one of those low-cost AM radios powered with two 1.5V cells (trebble and bass disappear, and also midrange does when the system is not aligned to radiate on-axis, because there are no room walls or ceiling to reflect it back to you).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Eva said:
Actually, I think that most people here would start hating "hi-fi" (as they know it) and would become addicted to things like horn bass if they were left playing with the right gear for a long enough time :D

Perhaps. But for some weird reason I just feel that pro audio is less intimate than "hi-fi". Plus, no one ever needs to reach the high SPLs in their home that pro audio equipment is capable of. Proper gear and a good setup can most certainly sound great though.

Eva said:
Of course, the so called "high power hi-fi" produces quite frustrating results when you attempt to use it for PA...

Conversely, the PA gear can produce quite frustrating results when you try to use it in your home. They're each meant for specific applications so you guys really aren't comparing similar things. Plus, the wife acceptance factor for PA equipment is far too low ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.