Spice: how to set IDSS etc? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2005, 08:37 PM   #1
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Default Spice: how to set IDSS etc?

Being slow to the dance, I just downloaded Linear Tech's SwcadIII and have been playing about with it...

Among the many things that are not mentioned or clear with or without the help file is how does one go about "setting" the IDSS for a JFET, or similarly Vgs for a Mosfet.

I see a great number of parameters for a given JFET, but none seems to directly correspond to IDSS (for example) - or else they're calling it something else.

Yes, I understand about chosing specific devices from the available devices, and/or the possibility of adding in devices (from someplace or another...), but for simplicity at this point I'd just as soon massage these two parameters for existing models for the sake of just making given circuits work according to what a pen and paper design says that they ought to.

Any input, or citations for sites that can provide this sort of info, would be appreciated.

_-_-bear
Old 5th August 2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For JFETs you want to change vt0, which is the turn-off gate-source voltage. Also of use is beta, which is the transconductance. Both of those will change Idss.
Old 6th August 2005, 01:59 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Ok, now all we need is a formula that relates the Beta & Vto to IDSS! Or a citation where I can find this info myself...

This is an example of two of the "standard" JFET models:

.model 2N3819 NJF(Beta=1.304m Betatce=-.5 Rd=1 Rs=1 Lambda=2.25m Vto=-3 Vtotc=-2.5m Is=33.57f Isr=322.4f N=1 Nr=2 Xti=3 Alpha=311

.model 2N4338 NJF(Beta=781u Betatce=-.5 Rd=1 Rs=1 Lambda=1.167m Vto=-.6606 Vtotc=-2.5m Is=114.5f Isr=1.091p N=1 Nr=2 Xti=3 Alpha=506.8u Vk=251.7 Cgd=2.8p M=.2271 Pb=.5 Fc=.5 Cgs=2.916p Kf=2.918E-18 Af=1 mfg=Fairchild)

_-_-bear
Old 6th August 2005, 03:40 PM   #4
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Hi bear,

From Massobrio and Antognetti, here is the equation in SPICE form for the JFET drain current in the saturated region (not analogous to BJT saturation):

ID=beta*(VGS-VTO)2*(1+lambda*VDS)

from which you can calculate IDSS.
Old 6th August 2005, 04:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,
If you're using LTspice you should also join the LTspice forum on yahoogroups.com [very active and helpful!!!] Look through the archives your question has probably been answered at least a dozen times.

Good Luck!
-=Randy
Old 6th August 2005, 06:50 PM   #6
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Gosh, I really don't like Yahoo's groups... but I will join anyhow.

Here's a really odd FFT result from LT's spice... the source is simply the internal virtual AC generator with a 100k load! I'm baffled as to why it should show any harmonics whatsover??

One is a 2000Hz source, the other is a 2200 Hz. source, the 1kHz source looks far worse!

_-_-bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ltswcad-fft1.jpg (88.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 8th August 2005, 02:15 AM   #7
SkyChu is offline SkyChu  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Have you turned off compression ( Tools>Control Panel>Compression ) ?
Old 8th August 2005, 03:01 AM   #8
heater is offline heater  Finland
diyAudio Member

I have been fighting with the FFT problem as well recently. Seemed every schematic had different harmonics on it's sine wave generators and is very sensitive to stop time and maximum time step (in the edit simulation command dialog box).

Now turning off compression, using a stop time of 100ms and a time step of 0.5uS I can get a plain generator with those spikes down 140db.

Trouble is this puts up the time it takes for simulation to complete which on my old 266MHz machine can be considerable.

Cheers for the tip.
Old 8th August 2005, 03:26 AM   #9
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

LtSpice default compression of analysis data is inconvenient, remembering to disable it in the control panel menu every time you restart the program isn't reliable (for me anyway)

I add (or copy to actually) a spice directive line to all of my schematics:

.param plotwinsize=0
Old 8th August 2005, 04:09 AM   #10
Tom2 is offline Tom2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
jcx said
I add (or copy to actually) a spice directive line to all of my schematics:
.param plotwinsize=0
jcx,

I think it should be

.options plotwinsize=0

Also the .raw and .fft files associated with the schematic can be large. Usually after playing around with the schematic, I delete them to free up hard drive space and I leave the original .asc file.

tom

Hide this!Advertise here!