Hiraga "le monstre" - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2011, 11:50 AM   #741
WuYit is offline WuYit  Sweden
Banned

gaborbela,
Quote:
I do not want to protect MCM electronics.
Well, there´s nothing wrong with selling fakes as long as correct information is given. You feel obviously confident so...
Old 7th March 2011, 12:04 PM   #742
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by es44 View Post
I don't understand, the "Le monstre" IS running class A, or at least that's what I thought.

Best regards
Ebbe
I think he was referring to the "Le Classe A"....
Old 7th March 2011, 12:07 PM   #743
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
Quote:
Originally Posted by es44 View Post
I don't understand, the "Le monstre" IS running class A, or at least that's what I thought.

Best regards
Ebbe
Ebbe - "Le Monstre" and "Le Class A" are two amps desgined by Jean Hiraga they are both operating in class A

Carlos - I agree - the bias is quite important in these amps i have heard / measured similar if you dont use enough bias *or* if you go too far with it.

-Dan
Old 7th March 2011, 01:14 PM   #744
diyAudio Member

Default I am glad you agree Danieljw

regards,

Carlos
Old 10th March 2011, 01:37 PM   #745
diyAudio Member

1. Oscar, is the PSU schematics i`m showing correct? (also increase from 2,2kohm to 3 and 0,47 to 1kohm each ??)
  2. Will this amp work with 50kohm ALPS directly from CD or pramp needed anyway?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5PowerSupplyBuild.jpg (63.3 KB, 812 views)
Old 10th March 2011, 02:01 PM   #746
osscar is offline osscar  Latvia
diyAudio Member

3k instead 2.3 will be ok.
12V and 1.2A in monster is less then 24V and 2.6A in F5. So RCR filter resistors will not be so hot. you can use some 0.47 ohm or 1ohm i think. 1k is too much.
50k and CD out - will work fine even without buffer.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:17 AM   #747
diyAudio Member

I would like to post my shunt that I put in the power supply of my monster.
shunt le monstre.png
Nothing spectacular actually.

I have such a module in both the positive supply and in the negative supply.

I have tested it with a capacitor across the sensing resistor: this was never stable, even with 220 muF. It is not needed.
It is also stable without a capacitor across the unit. On the board however I have 2.200 muF and in the PS I have a large capacitor, 25.000 with low ESR.

I have this 'hidden' from the amplifier modules with 0,68 ohm, that have 2x68.000. And I have 1 ohm to the raw input capacitors that have 1x68.000 muF.
The winding delivers 14,2 V AC at 3 Amps, and 14.8 at no load. It is a bifilar wound Métalimphy model (french).
Together this combo will allow the shunt to take 300 mA when cold, and 100 mA when the Le Monstre is at a stable temperature and operating point.

On the scope I see that small changes in the line that always exist do not affect the power, and the residue of the rectification (spikes) is also gone.

I needed the shunt to ensure I have less than 13.5 volts across my 100.000 muF 'super capa's' that I put across my final capacitor bank (even though 14.5 volts is admissible for them).

I have heard that the amplifier sounds smoother and the bandwidth is extended with clarity in the highs. (My Quad electrostat has an impedance of around 1-2 ohms at 20 kHz it is said ... so I obviously need quite some power there, to be supplied by the PS.)

albert
Old 13th March 2011, 11:05 PM   #748
diyAudio Member

hi al thanks for posting the pic of your shunt reg, how do you find the performance of the tl431

-Dan
Old 14th March 2011, 08:07 AM   #749
diyAudio Member

Well Dan,
it's a bit hard to get it out of oscillations zones at times, specifically with the complex circuitry around it (a fast darlington that can dump 8 amperes) but if one stays away from the published 'instability zone', it is ok.
In fact I have also made a TL431/EL84 shunt and a TL431 clock series power supply that really perform well.
I think it should improve the Le Classe A circuit too.

Some don't like the 'noise' of zeners that the TL431 exhibits to a little extent too, well, with such large capacitors around, we have enough inherent noise floors already. It does not get worse on the scope. On my B&K RMS voltmeter the total stays below the 1 mv mark.
albert
Old 15th March 2011, 01:34 AM   #750
diyAudio Member

I also used a regulated supply for both le monstres i have built, i had good results with the lm338k

main reason was to kill any hum and keep a stable rail voltage.

-Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!